1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Aguilar Announces Super Split Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 24, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    New York, NY — Aguilar is pleased to announce the Super Splits. These hum-canceling pickups are voiced to create rich bass tone - crisp and open treble, barking midrange and huge lows in a soap bar shape.

The Super Splits feature 42-gauge Formvar wire and Alnico V magnets. Because of their split coil design they are also hum-canceling! These pickups sound great passive or can be paired with an onboard preamp, such as Aguilar’s OBP-1, 2 or 3, for the ultimate in tonal flexibility.

Two sets are available: the AG 4SSP-D1 for four string basses and the AG 5SSP-D2 for five string basses. These calibrated sets include one pickup for the neck position and one pickup for the bridge position. Like all Aguilar pickups, the Super Splits are wound in Aguilar’s NYC factory. They will be available February 1st and carry a US street price of $198.00 for the AG 4SSP-D1 and $232.00 for the AG 5SSP-D2

Super Split Pic for Press Release.

2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Most likelly, they sound beautifull, but before i have heard - can't say it.

3. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Yummy. Take my money.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I’m guessing these are made drop in size for Ibanez basses?

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    They'll work for the BTB's but not the SR 5 string models as the spacing is different.

6. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    No six-string versions? Aw.

sludgetail likes this.
  7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Will these be available in EMG40 size?

8. strings spacing? Aguilar main page?

9. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Nordstrand has you covered. Try the Big Splits, you know, the original splits.

10. Actually, the DiMarzio Model J is an inline-split-coil humbucker dates back to 1979.

R Baer and paddydaddyo like this.
  11. tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    My apologies, i've never seen one. Were they good?

12. They still make them, but they're not soapbars, they're J-bass pickups.

DP123CR%2BN.
    (Image courtesy of DiMarzio)

I've never heard anybody say anything bad about them, for what that's worth.

They are the earliest inline-split-coil humbucking bass pickup that I am aware of. Now the majority of pickup makers have some kind of bass pickup that follows the format-- 2 coils side-by-side, each sensing different strings in order to minimize phase cancellation. It's a great idea. To be honest, I'm starting to wonder why anybody even bothers making traditional single-coils for bass anymore...

13. tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga

14. tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Tone, all experiments and change is valid in the search for tone.

15. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    staggered pole pieces *hallelujah hands*

16. Happy Camper

Happy Camper

Feb 11, 2019
    As you may know, Aguilar make a DCB soapbox set for 6-strings. Soapbar Pickups

17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Found this and the demo of the pickups come at the end of Dave's marketing spiel. However, it sound very much to me the audio portion of this clip is heavy produced after the shooting. So I'm thinking it's not a great demo.

Listen, for those producing these demos, use D.I straight into a recording DAW with no simulation, effects, or significant EQ in the DAW, please!