Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar BD 359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    OK, here's the deal, I know someone that has a Aguilar DB 359 head he's looking to sell. I've played the Aguilar head once @ Jimmy Copollo's NY Guiatr & Bass Botique & I thought it was really nice but what do you think of the 200W head? I had an Ampeg SVT IIPRO (300W all tube) & it rocked. I'm assuming the Aguilar will be enough power. Do any of you guys that have feel it's not enough power? Also, how is it to carry around after a gig? I know it's pretty heavy.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I really like the tone of the DB359 but, IMO, it is:

1. Too heavy.

2. Too expensive to retube.

3. Not powerful enough to cover all my needs.

I bought a DB659 and use it with a Stewart PA-1000 power amp. The tone is very close to the DB359 but has more punch and clarity. I have the best of both worlds-a lightweight rig with lovely tube warmth and detail and plenty of headroom.

YMMV!! Some like the tone of an all tube rig enough to put up with the drawbacks. I don't.

Chuck

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    For what it's worth, the 359 and the 659 are SO completely different sounding it's not even a comparison. The Aguilar power stage adds a lot of grunt - I can play through just a DB728 and it sounds pretty damn fine. The 659 with a poweramp sounds thin, weak, and boring by comparison.

Nino man, your old Sad V5 #3444 sounds nothing short of AMAZING through my 359 - like they were made for eachother.

heavy? God yes. expensive to re-tube? yeah i guess, but it's not like people keep gear long enough to have to do that :D

you do have a point with the power - it's enough for small to medium and to compete with a medium-loud drummer. Interestingly, I think people assume that if you have to turn it up over 1/2, that it can't get any louder, and that's where a lot of the "underpowered 359" myth comes from. I'm not saying it's 1200w loud, but enough to compete. Try running it into 2 410's and tell me that's not loud enough.

last thing: i've been using the 359 at home every day, but now that it's loaned out, I've been back to the Clarus. Not really a fair comparison, but DAMN I miss the 359. DAMN!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

vanselus, What combinations of speakers have you tried it though? Have you tried it with a gs 210 and the gs 112. Or a pair of 112's?

Even though you get more volume does attack seem to suffer with 2 410's.If so how many speakers do you feel is the best compramise between punch and volume (isnt that a play? punch and volume,HAH,sorry)

AJ

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've tried it through either two GS112's or one GS410. The two 410 comment was purely hypothetical - i haven't tried it myself, but for me, one 410 was plenty loud (and we all know that old surface area addage)...

My favorite is the pair of 112's - but then again i turn tweeters off too. For the best combination of punch and volume, I feel you almost HAVE to have 10's in there somewhere, just to get that quick attack and punch.

Truly however, it ALL depends on the gig. In the musicals, one 112 is almost too boomy - but in the blues band, it's thin beyond reproach. Double it up, and it's too thick for rock, but sounds great in blues! (of course, EQ can take care of a lot of issues...)

What's your normal situation?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what the shoe-biter said... :D

if i remember, Van mentioned in the preamp thread that Josh used a 359 with a pair of Aggie 1x12's with great results at an outdoor fest.

i had a chance to run a DB359 at Manny's Music, thru both their 4x10 and 4x12 tower, and the 10's had that awe-inspiring gut punch we like, and added nicely to the gooey yet strangely clear tubey tone. can only imagine the wall peeling you'd get with two 4x10's. the 4x12 was too dark and buried, tho prolly killer for Bill Laswell / Peter Tosh like dub.

btw, my bud uses one of those new fangled SKB RollX racks, and he does fine with his DB359.

http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rollx/skb-rlx-3.html

[​IMG]

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess that 659 is being playred on a different planet in a different galaxy than mine. ;) Depending on how the controls are tweaked, the tone is so thick and hard, my Eden cabs just melt under the strain.

Moreover, I can't imagine Aguilar compromising their sound quality on any of their products, especially a $975 preamp :confused:

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess that 659 is being playred on a different planet in a different galaxy than mine. ;) Depending on how the controls are tweaked, the tone is so thick and hard, my Eden cabs just melt under the strain.

Moreover, I can't imagine Aguilar compromising their sound quality on any of their products, especially a $975 preamp :confused:

But there are lots of variables from one person's rig to the next.

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    They're listed as having a 17" depth - the 359 fits in there ok?

man I gotta send you one of our "Bite Me" hats ;)

10. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    The 359 is a great all tube head. 200 tube watts doesn’t sound like a lot of punch but I've never run out of volume or headroom. I use efficient cabs. Most often just one 2x10. Sometimes I add on a 1x12 . I gig most weekends and yes the sucker is heavy. In my opinion that’s the only drawback to any all tube head. Is the tone worth the weight?...Even with straining my back last week caring it up the stairs after a gig and living on Advil for 3 days, I would say most definitely. I guess in ten years I might think differently about the weight but not about the tone.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Andy, what case are you using for the DB359 these days?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    fits like a glove.

and lol! hilarious catch phrase. its all good. but if i'm ever in the need of something comfy for the Catskills or Poconos, you know where i'm shoppin'. :D

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Joker

does the rollx rack have that little pop-out panel in the back or is it an actual lid?

you know it man! just let me know - i'll spring you the special TB discount ;)

14. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Van

After searching a long time for a Rack Bag that fit. I realized there is no stock bag on the market deep enough for the 359. I called Aguilar for a suggestion and they said that they were working on a prototype. I think I got the first production one directly from Aguilar. They had them made by the "Modern Case" company. The quality is good and it fits great. I got a 3 rack space bag leaving one open for good air circulation. That’s real important cause you can fry eggs on the 359 when she’s cookin.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its a little pop out panel, not like the front's lid.

here's a bigger pic i found, so you can see it better.

[​IMG]

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own a 359 and a GS112 Im trying to deside whether a 210 or another 112.Thing is that finding a 210 would be alot harder to find used than a 112.Im thinking Id prefer a 210.Mabye more volume deffinetly more clarity and punch.

AJ

17. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    In my opinion...a 210 for sure. More punch and more versatility.

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    "For what it's worth, the 359 and the 659 are SO completely different sounding it's not even a comparison. The Aguilar power stage adds a lot of grunt - I can play through just a DB728 and it sounds pretty damn fine. The 659 with a poweramp sounds thin, weak, and boring by comparison."

An interesting statement that does not match up with my experience. The 359 does not sound exactly like the 659 (how could it?) but does sound similar.

If you used my exact equipment to audition the DB 659, if you played exactly like me and used my ears you might be able to accurately make the above statement. You'll notice that my statements ended with "YMMV".

You want to deal with the things that I consider negative about the DB359? Please, be my guest. Do not, however, expect me to accept your sweeping statements as fact. My experience does not match up with yours.

I respect your opinion as accurate for you. Should you not do the same?

Chuck

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Chuck, of COURSE my opinions are my own. Putting "YMMV" or "IMHO" is just redundant. I said it, so yes, YMMV. Sorry to have offended you with my humble opinion (and for the record, there was no disrespect, and i'm offended you read some in). Don't take it personally that I like the 359 better than the 659.

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I'm with Chuck M on the 359.

I'm one who's quick to defend Aguilar's high prices, but I don't personally understand why anyone would pay $2300 for a 359 when they can have the 750 for roughly the same price. The 750 is actually a couple of pounds lighter , although still too heavy (but if my back must suffer for that marvelous tone, so be it!).

Much more power with the DB750, and very similar tone to the 359, although without the slight attack delay you get with a tube-driven amp.

Are you guys sure the 359 fits into those SKB X-racks? The DB359 I had was 21" deep.