Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar+Bergantino vs. Read+Stewart+Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quatre03, Jan 30, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm trying to decied on one of these two rigs for some time next year. These are the two that i've narrowed it down too. I've got about 3000$ USD to spend on it. which do you guys think would be the better Rig?? I'd like the aggie and the berg for the tonal promises, but right now i play through 6 eq systems, so tone is completely adjustable no matter what i'm playing through. The stewartworld and schroeder i like because of the infinate head room. :help:

Aguilar DB750 + Bergantino NV425
    DB 750
    Accepts 2, 4, and 8 ohm loads
    Tuner Out with Mute
    Self-Diagnostic Protection Circuit and Thermal Overload Protection Circuit (both with LED Indicators)
    Short Circuit Protection
    Power Output: 750 watt @ 4 ohms, 975 watts @ 2 ohms.
    Preamp Section: Three 12AX7s and one 12AU7
    Power Section: 12 complimentary lateral MOSFETs
    Transformers: Custom Aguilar toroidal power transformer.
    EQ Section: Tube-driven shelving type treble (+/ - 12dB 4kHz), mid (+/ - 12dB @ 400Hz), and bass (+/ - 12dB @ 40Hz) controls.
    Deep Switch: Adds 3db of broad-band boost at 30 Hz.
    Bright Switch: A passive RC pre-emphasis circuit at 5-7 kHz.
    Effects Loop: Send pot is push/pull for line or instrument level; return pot is push/pull for parallel or series operation.
    Inputs: One 1/4" input jack with an active/passive switch. One 1/4" power amp input.
    Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, one Jenson XLR balanced output (32dB pre- and post-EQ) with a ground lift switch, and one 1/4" jack preamp output.
    Cooling: High quality whisper fan
    Power Requirement: 100, 120, 230 VAC 50 - 60 Hz
    Dimensions: 19" W x 14" D x 5.25" H
    Rack Size: Three Spaces.
    Weight: 43 lbs

NV425:
    3-10" woofers with vented pole pieces
    1-15" woofer with vented pole piece
    power handling - 750 watts rms
    frequency response: 41hz - 5khz
    sensitivity: 100db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    impedance: 4 ohms
    dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 15"D
    weight: 95lbs.
    tilt-back casters

Read Bass tube amp+Stewartworld 2.1+Schroeder 3101212:
    Stewartworld 2.1:
    FTC Power Rating
    bridged mono
    2100W x 1 @ 4 Ohms

Bass Purity Tube Preamp
    One rack space high
    All point-to-point hand wiring
    All tube circuitry; not a single solid state component to be found in the signal path
    Nothing but the best components; Sprague Atom electrolytic capacitors, Sprague Orange Drop polypropylene coupling/tone control caps, Auricap audiophile coupling caps, Vishay metal film resistors
    Jensen transformer balanced DI XLR out
    Jensen transformer balanced/unbalanced 1/4" line out
    4 band tube driven eq; bass, lo mid, high mid, treble
    Mid Emphasis control alters the overall character of the eq for greater flexibility
    Deep switch with indicator LED
    Bright switch with indicator LED
    Mute switch with indicator LED
    Gain control plus master volume
    EQ bypass switch with indicator LED
    Dedicated DI level control
    Effects loop
    Tuner out
    12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes
    Extremely low noise

Schroeder 3101212:
    2100 Watts RMS
    2x10 2x12

2. Looks like two totally different sounding systems, not even close tonewise. Like comparing apples and oranges.

The Aggie/Berg setup will give a tubey old school vibe and the Read/Stewart/Schroeder setup should be hi-fi perfection.

Although I have not personally played through the Shroeders, I have spent some time at Jack Read's house/shop so that makes up for it. BTW Jack was playing through Aggies.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sorry we can't decide for ya

one thing i can tell you from experience is that the agiie 750 is every bit s loud as the stewart 2.1. i have a stewart 2.1 that i use with a demeter and swr preamps (and i used to use it with alembic and eden pres as well)
    i did direct a/b comparisons and the 750 kept up with the stewart. both are very loud.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wouldn't say you would need a 3101212 at all, i've been talking with jorg in several e-mails, and he assures me that this cab would be overkill for a very loud hard rock band playing in large halls and outside.

5. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I agree with IvanMike wholeheartedly on this. . . I am selling my SW 2.1 (sold, actually) that I used to use with a Demeter 201s and a Kern 777. While the Stewart is a great power amp, especially its weight, the DB 750 is amazingly loud and full. I don't think you'd have to worry about headroom with it. I've never played one on a really loud gig, but I've spoken to guys who have really cranked theirs and haven't even made the clip light blink. It's about as heavy as my car, give or take a few lbs, but it is one of the most phenomenal sounding heads (throw in pre/power amps too) I've ever played through. . .

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Anyone know what pre is used in the DB750? Is it it's own proprietary setup, or is it in one of the various pre amp models Aguilar offers? I'm thinking about getting a DB659, so I was just curious.

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Reagan,

There's another thread (if you do a search for "DB750"), maybe entitled "What makes the DB750 so special?" or some such thing. It might be in another thread, I can't remember, there are several on it. In the other thread(s) some people who have owned some of the other Aguilar pre's compared the tone to the 750's tone. That might be of some help.

Also, I'm shooting you a PM later this afternoon about the cab. . .

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the preamp in the 750 is identical to the 659 (entirely identical interface wise) but has an extra tube or 2 thrown in. some cats can hear the difference, some cant. when i first played the 750 i posted a review of it here on the tb gear reviews section. the thing that kept me from buying it was i already had demeter and alembic preamps, and a stewart 2.1. even so it was a hard choice. the preamp in the 200 watt all tueb aggie 359 is also the 659/750 preamp, but i think that one has even another tube thrown into the circuit.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I happen to like Read+Stewart+Bergantino a lot, but that's not part of the question. :p

10. Well if Jorg says this is the case then I say Overkill all the way. To me there's nothing more gratifying than drowning out the guitarist. :D The old school sounds I think works better in rock anyway.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Sweetness. I'm still on the three-way fence about the 3 pre's I'm considering, so we'll see. I just like what I've heard the Aggy do, so we'll see.

And erich- I'll keep a look out for it.

12. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    that should be perfect for my dorm room at berklee then :D :D :D

i'm being dead serious

13. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Whoops :oops: , I didn't realize they were merely a tube or two apart. I should check my info better before I state something unequivocally. . . sorry for the misinformation :bag:

14. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Weird, noone tried to talk me out of the 3101212. I said, where and when can I get one... ok here's my CC, lets do it. Happy to oblige they all were.

Waiting damned near impatiently for it to arrive in 2 days. Just in time for our first big gig in town.

Full reviews to come of course.

Troll

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Did you talk with Jorg? Local dealers could of just wanted the sale. I just told him what situation i was in, hard rock group, outside and large hall gigs. What do i need? He said that a 1212 would probably do, but if i want to go to a big box, it'd be even better and that they're plenty loud. Asked about the 3101212 and he said it was overkill..

How much was the 3101212 by the way? I'm looking at going aggy anyway at the moment.