aguilar cab combinations, please advise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Feb 11, 2005.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    hi, I'm going to sell my Ampeg 410HLF in favor of a more portable mix of 2 cabs. I'm leaning towards Aguilar..

(some background) I've played bass for ages in my studio but never had to buy a proper rig before because I've never played bass in a band before. So I found a GK 700RB and Ampeg 410HLF secondhand at a good price. Now I must admit the weight of the Ampeg took me by surprise (I'm not a very strong person). I knew it was 105lbs. Its the fact that you have to lean over it to grab it and lift it into the back of my car that I did not consider (it absolutely blitzes my back). I've also got a slight scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and I have to be careful lifting.

So... would an Aguilar 210 + 112 compliment my GK 700RB well...

would I be way better off getting an Aggy 210 + 115 for better sound.

If you know a better cab combo for a full range sound please advise.
  2. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hi remo,
    Quite a few people on this site have replaced their 410's with 2 + 112's with good results. I use a 212, which is around 70 lbs. However, i've never compared my 212 with the 410 your speaking of. 2 112's would be very portable though.
  3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just a question re. ohms and this setup..

my gk 700rb is 380w into 4 ohms.. now if I run it into 2 8ohm 12" cabs that are rated at 300w each.. (I realise the ohms will drop to 4 thus letting the amp deliver full power) but will the load of the amp be halfed to each speaker (ie. 190w to each 8ohm 12")?

so in short..

will it be safe to run my 380w@4ohm GK head into 2 12" 8ohm cabs? is it a good power match up?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup each 112 will get 1/2 the power - yeah thats a good match up.

as you've probably read the aggies sometimes need a little mid boost in your amp's eq to cut thru in a band situation. (esp high mids - IMO). the neat thing about them is they have good low end so you won't need to boost bass at all which means you can turn your amp up louder. i had one and had to sell it. very portable cabinet in terms of weight. a little on the big side for a 1x12, but i'm sure the low end wouldnt be possible if it wasnt.
  5. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    awesome, thanks for that! I've got a MXR M80 preamp that I run into the GK which offers pretty good eq control.. and also the eq's on the GK..

just one other thing... all in all, would 2x112's or a 112 + 210 combination be a better setup (as in covering a full spectrum)?

thanks again!
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm a pretty big fan of Aggie cabs, but IMO their 1x15 isn't the greatest 15. I used Aggie 410's and a 1x15 in my rig, and was blown away by how much better two Aggie 410's together sounded instead. I'm not exaggerating here, totally blown away by the difference. More gutsy lows in the two 410's together than the 1x15 gave me, so don't be disillusioned by the sight of a larger speaker thinking it will give you more lows. It will give you a different KIND of lows, but not more.
  7. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    FWIW, if you get the aggies, and aren't too impressed, try giving them more power. I was running an Eden WT-300 (300W@4ohm) into 2 GS112s, then went to the 500W Ashdown MK500. The mids really opened up after that, and the overall tone was better (obviously.) They're rated at 300W each but they can eat a lot of juice.

I also think the GS112's are a great value for the money.
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I use a GS210 and a GS112 powered by a Mesa M-Pulse 600 (600W @ 4 ohms). The GS112 will give you great bottom end and the GS210 delivers the punch. You still need to boost the mids, but it's no problem. I use this rig in a classic rock/blues band with a LOUD guitarist and a LOUD drummer. We play medium-sized clubs. The guitarist sometimes asks me to turn down (heh heh). I do not go through the PA. I easily fit both cabs in the back seat of my car. :D
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IMO, Aguilar cabs are VERY reasonably priced for the quality. Assuming you know where to shop, cheaper than Eden and almost all of the boutique brands, and great quality.

Their amps . . . not so cheap . . . :D
  10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have two GS112s and love the sound. The two are not as loud as a 410 (compared to eden and aguilar). However, I have heard their 212 and it is closer in volume in punch than the two 112s to a 410.

One of the reasons I think this is so is that the 2 112s are deeper than the 212 and does not push as much sound out. Think of the berg 210 and 210s. The 210s has more of an "upfront" sound.

For portability and sound the ag 112s can't be beat. With a little mid boost as mentioned earlier, nothing drastic, you should cut through well.

When I purchased mine I looked at the bergs and compared and thought this had the best bottom for portable cab.
  11. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have two GS212's and they rock. I got tired of hauling around a 95 lb Eden 410XLT and got the 212's instead. At 70 lbs, while they aren't lightweight, they are very manageable and they sound awesome. I just picked up a Aggie DB659 pre, but I haven't had the opportunity to try the full stack with it yet. My spouse frowns when I start making the floor shake. The stack was awesome with my Demeter however.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're going for max portability and low weight you might wanna stick with the two 1x12 cabs. i dunno exactly how much heavier the 2x10 is, but it is somewhat heavier. FWIW, the GS112 is a joy to pick up, the only cab that ever made me smile more in that regard was the epi 310UL, but one of those costs "just a bit" more than two aggies. BTW, people are right, the aggie cabs are a steal for the $$.
  13. The option to the Aggy GS210 is the S series 210. Much lighter than the GS210 (52lbs) and from reviews they are more generous in the mids. Haven’t had the chance to try one myself. When cash permits in the future I am thinking of adding one to one of my GS112's - I think it would be a pretty good combo.

As mentioned earlier they really start to shine when you put a bit of power through them. I just received my new GK RB1001-II yesterday and after a quick plug in I can tell straight away these cabs (2XGs112's) are going to open up with this amp. Haven’t had a chance to gig with it yet so we will see. I used to play through them with a 400watt swr and was initially surprised at how much power I got. So you should be happy with what you can get with the GK700. Just don't expect paint to peel from the walls.

If the ampeg 4X10 was 4 ohms and you don’t expect to upgrade your amp (power wise) in the future, I'd say the it would be the best option. Otherwise you should be happy with either combo of the aggys. If you get the s210/GS112 combo, you can give me a review ;)