Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aguilar cabs in combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

has anyone tried out any aggie stacks? like 4x10/2x12 or 4x10/1x15? how do they caompare to the GS412/any 8x10? I searched and searched but couldn't find anything.

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have the GS210 + GS410 together. It sounds great, gets very loud & very deep. But I only play 4 strings so your needs may be different if you play 5+.

As compared to the 412 I tried, there is no comparison. The 412 is HUGE!

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

but does the GS412 have the clarity for a good rock slap sound? My pair of GS112's is pretty smooth, although probably a little underpowered by my bass 350.

4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I had a GS115 and GS210. Sounded great together, but didn't stack quite right. The corners don't line up well, but you can use some foam in between. I didn't use the stack much so I sold the GS115 and got an Accugroove Whappo Jr., which is a great all in one cab (I think the best out there). But the GS115 is the best 115 I've ever heard, and I kept my GS210, so I hope that says something....

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh yeah forgot to mention, I had two GS112s before switching to the GS210 and GS115. They didn't do it for me and clipped before it got loud enough for me, so I ended up with the GS210 and GS115. I had an SWR Bigfoot, and was using that more than the stack, so that's when I sold the GS115 and the Bigfoot to buy the Accugroove.... It was a good decision, but sometimes I miss the GS115.... The GS210 still get's lots of use, but I wish it had casters, it's not very light for a 210.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to use a GS410 and GS115 together, until I had the opportunity to A/B the rig with just two GS410's at an outdoor gig with a large stage. I got a LOT more volume AND low end using two GS410's than I did with the 15, and I immediately sold the 15. Something about the way those particular cabs are voiced, it sounded MUCH MUCH better that way.

Don't assume that a 15 will always get you more low end coverage than a 410 . . . .

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've tried the 115 with an eden 410 (which is essentially the same cab as the GS410). I'm getting a GS410. It cuts better with the the 10s and I think the GS410 actually is a little deeper than the GS115 (40hz vs 42hz). I've actually heard of people using 4 112's and cutting off the tweeter on all but one (or you can buy 112nt's). With more than one tweeter on, you can have phase problems. ( experience this with my GS112s used as a pair). This way you don't have a giant cabinet to carry. The 4 112s would give you modularity without having to always lug the big cab.

You might want to consider a GS212 with the 410 to give you a more rounded bottom and the punch.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    obviously alot depends on your group, but if you're a small combo, like a trio or quartet, then the 1x15 would prolly add a satisfying pillow of low end to fill things out.

the 2x12 on the other hand, would give juuuust a bit more punch, yet stay tight.

and if things are outrageously loud in a dense onstage mix of 6 or more peeps, then a pair of 4x10's would be IMHO, you're only way to go.

and yea, there are plenty of threads on the GS4x12 vs. 8x10.

IMHO, i'd go with the 2x12. it's another cool option you can take on smaller gigs, while also working great with your 4x10.

9. I had Aguilar 2x10 + 2x12, great full-range sound and easy to transport.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Right now I'm using a GS410 with an SWR Big Ben 1x18. The Aggie sounds great by itself, very balanced and punchy, but I just like the vibe and boom a larger speaker adds. You can't even really "hear" the 18, but you can definatley tell the difference in the overall tone. Sometimes some speaker slowness is a good thing.

I've got them both on the floor at the moment, and its sounding really good.

11. I ahve a GS410 and a GS410 and all i ahve to say about them paired together is...the voice of god in a box. I play rock music aswell with a 4 string.

-Vince

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have an Aggie 112 and Eden 112 - this has the low end of a 15 with the punch of my 410

just my two pesos

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another (odd stacker) combination that sounds really good is the GS112 + GS210 (I bet a pair of each would be killer).