Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm planning on buying an Aguilar DB359 head and
    2 112 Aguilar cabs. Does anyone have any feedback
    on these cabs? I've played the head thru a 4-10 Aguilar cab and it sounded great.

2. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i am also interested in those cabs....what's the website???

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    www.aguilaramp.com is the website.

I recently got a new GS410. Astounding cab. I chose it over SWR and Eden (no Bergantino's to test out....) because...well, it sounded better to me. Huge but controlled low end and amazingly punchy. I'd say it has a hifi tone with more balls. Way more balls.

Despite being 98 pounds it is actually pretty easy to move because of its shape and the location of the handles.

Thumbs up from here.

4. Sometime this month Aguilar is releasing it's 212 cab.It's the same width and depth as the other Ag cabinets so it would stack well with them.Those 112s look really portable though.A guy from Bass Palace told me they really move some air for thier size and are smooth sounding.

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I still think SWR pro series cabs are the bomb. I tried out Aggie's and in all honesty I didn't hear any difference. Eden cabs sound a bit more warmer and bassy but very similar in tone with the SWR pro line. I don't know....

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Don't waste your time and a LOT of money by buying the aguilar stuff! Look at what Matt Garrison, Anthony Jackson, etc are using (keep watching),

I believe they are on to something.

Good luck,

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    This is off topic, but I just checked your profile Brian and it says you have an Epifani preamp. Since when does Epifani make preamps? I checked the website and it only had cabs listed.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    They will be brought out to the public at NAMM Jan 17-20.

They are truly amazing!!! Nothing like it has ever been built for us bass players!!

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Was this in response to my post? You mean I wasn't swapping cables between the Eden 410XLT, Goliath III and the Aggy? Huh, damn, I remember doing that and liking the Aggy more.... I guess I was tripping because I wasn't near your aura? FWIW, I've been playing long enough (and through enough gear) not to give a crap what other people say. Heck if the Peavey 410 sounded better to me I would've bought that.

So, thank you for your concern but no thanks.

Of course, if I'm just being paranoid, ignore this post.

Late addition:

Wow, Brian, you're a dealer! You have a vested interest in pushing one brand over another, and I'm supposed to take your word? Yer a hoot. I'll make sure never to spend money with you.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    sorry, you mentioned not have a bergantino around to compare to the others you tried. Thats where my statement came in "I understand its tuff when something not around that you hear great things about".

Sorry you took offence to my sympathizing with you!

As for what I sell, well your correct I do only sell certain builders and products. SORRY, I'm not in the business of pushing whatever is HOT that day or what you think you need just so I can make a buck!!! I take pride in only selling the best and not wasting customers & friends money and time!

I wish you the best with your search

11. Dealers should always identify themselves as such. I see nothing in your profile or user handle that does this.

Take a que from Bob at QSC. That way there is no mistaking a person's point of view as pure opinion. Dealers have a vested interest in their point of view.

12. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've only tried this in a music store and I haven't
    tried the 112's yet. Anyway which combination do you guys think would be the loudest and most efficient, the 2 112's or the 4-10? Thanks for the response.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well his signature is a link to his webpage. I think that counts as both identification and advertisement. Kind of a mixed bag.

I've jumped on Brian's case here before. It's a tough call. He only sells the equipment he thinks is best. So, whenever he posts his opinion it is self-serving. I'm sure Gard and others can testify that it's a tricky thing. BUT Brian could take more than a few pointers from them. :)

14. I didn't check his signature link, only the profile. My bad...

However, my point about taking a cue from Bob Lee (QSC) still stands. Easy to identify dealer, without any digging required.

15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't think Aguilar is expensive....????

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    With all due respect, I have found that Aguilar is surprisingly and refreshingly reasonable in their pricing. Their customer service seems to be tops and their availability is quite good. I have absolutely no qualms about Aguilar's quality, either. Just real nice solid stuff. :D

I get a real thrill everytime I pour some serious QSC PLX power into my GS410. I did get to audition all the usual suspects...Bergantino, Epifani, SWR, Eden, Bag End, Ampeg and even Genz-Benz. Talk about bang for the buck...I gave the tone a slight nod to the Berg 3x10 but for $350 bucks more it wasn't that good. Plus the Berg can't handle the juice that the Aguilar can.

Jeff, if you are thinking 12's I'd wait a couple of weeks for the GS212. I'll bet that is going to be one honey of a cab.;)

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played through the ones Bob had at BassPalace and I was amazed at the tone, I'm a 10's and 15 guy but those 12's really cooked.
    I played my P bass I bought from Bob through them and man they were cool, and the 200 watt Aguilar head was no slouch either, sounded great!