1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aguilar crossover help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonogz, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    i have an older gs410 cab that i've stripped, sanded, and duratexed. it was orginally an 8ohm cab, but i ordered 4 new aguilar 4ohm drivers for it. plug and play? or is the crossover specific to the original 8 ohm drivers?

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The crossover's -3db "point" will be off by an octave if you change to an 8 Ohm speaker arrangement so on, it's not "PNP" in the sense that it will do what the original design called for. You'll need to double the capacitor value and halve the inductor, if it has one.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Follow the circuit and see if there is an inductor (coil) in line with the wire that feeds the woofers. If not, it's just a highpass to protect the tweeter and there is no lowpass, the woofers play the fullrange signal. Meaning it's fine to plug and play with your 4ohm drivers. A lot of bass cabs are like that. Not a full crossover, but 1/2 of one.

4. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    photo.JPG

that's what i'm working with

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Is that wire coil in the + line that goes to the woofer or is it laying across the + and - line that goes to the tweeter? If the circuit board is too hard to see or trace, can use a multimeter to find out, checking continuity from the coil to the various wire leads.

It looks like it's just a tweeter highpass but need to know for sure.

6. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    assuming the red thing is the coil......

behind the coil, it looks like the input jacks connect to it. and it looks like there's a + and - going to each input jack

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That doesn't tell you much. Take the circuit board off of the jackplate and you should be able to see what's connected to what on the back side. You'd take out the 2 screws at the bottom of the pic, and the nuts off the input jacks assuming they're 1/4" or the mounting screws if they are speakon and it should come apart.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you have a multimeter, you could just check if there is continuity from the coil to the + wire for the woofer. If not, you're good to go as is. If there is, then your new woofers would throw off the operation of the crossover.

9. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    I called Aguilar. The crossovers 4ohm and 8ohm cabs use the same crossover.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If they use the same horn on all cabs, the crossover is 12dB/octave and there's nothing to affect the Low Pass of the other drivers.

11. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I can't see the traces, but it looks like a 3rd order (18dB/octave) high pass filter: 2 caps and a coil. If Aguilar says its the same xover, then it is only a high pass and there is no filter on the woofer. This is common practice for just about every commercial bass cab but always good to check.