1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB 212 vs. Eden XLT 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noiseboy79, Apr 20, 2009.

1. noiseboy79

noiseboy79

Apr 20, 2009
    Currently looking at moving up to a grown up rig from my modest Fender Bassman 150, which is lovely as a practise amp, and even copes alright onstage as a monitor when going through a PA, but is really being made to punch well above its weight.
    Currently mainly playing a Geddy Lee Jazz with Lindy Fralin pickups, strung with DR Sunbeams, and I play almost exclusively fingerstyle. I use an Aguilar Tone Hammer onstage and in the studio, which I couldn't be happier with.
    My own band plays powerpop/classic rock type stuff, but I also do some Blues/Soul/R&B type gigs with various others.
    I'm fairly certain that I'm going for an Eden WT 550 head, since it seems about the right size for my needs, and sounds fantastic. But I'm really not sure what cab to get. I have a preference for how 12" speakers respond to your fingers. The Eden XLT 212 seems to get some great reviews, but I'm based in Ireland, and would really have to go to the UKto get one.
    The Aguilar DB 212 is newer, but easier for me to order, and from the descriptions I've read has just the kind of mid-range growl I'm looking for. Anybody tried it? Particularly, has anybody tried it with the Eden head?

2. Jeff Flying H B

Jeff Flying H B

Feb 18, 2009
    Lancaster VA
    Dealer, 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator
    Man, you sound just like me! I have a Basman 150 and I was okay until I took some lessons from this guy whos got an Eden WT400 and Eden 2x10 and felt the love. So I am biased.

I went to this store last week with my MIM JB with Frailins and a custom blend pot wiring, and plugged into ALL THE USED AND NEW TUBE AMPS AND STACKS they guy had...

Holland, Aguilar, Eden. SWR Ampeg, G-K, Genz-Benz.

Dude I was stoked. They guy has all this stuff for sale at cost, he's just trying not to close doors... and I'm kinda tight on cash. But I'm gonna ride down tomorrow due to your post, thanks!!! lol

So for your question, The Eden. I played through a used SWR 350X the guy had like $400US on it. Its nice and really a tonally accurate represention of my guitar. So there ya have it. I'd actually be happy with that 350X and an Eden stack but when you can have matching stuff why not.

I am warning you that you'll hear differnet and better, but everyone else is way happy with all you dirnt and dont fret it, cheers, say hi to Larry Mullen Jr. I have ticket to U2 tickets for this fall.:cool:

3. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    In my opinion with Eden gear, and maybe with all brands of gear, you will have the best rig/sound if you buy the same brand cabinets as you buy amp. The WT550 was made to sound best with other Eden gear (cabinets).

I bought a WT550 from a local guy a year or so ago. Since then I've been looking for deals on used Eden cabinets. I just purchased an Eden D212XLT and I'm looking to use it with my WT550 very soon.

I know there are a lot of fans of Aguilar but I've not used that brand so I cannot comment.

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in. Have a great day!

Dave