Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 359 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Apr 3, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    OK, I've asked Aguilar and they never got back to me so I'm trying you guys.

Approximately (I know this isn't exact) how many solid state watts would you estimate the 200 tube watts of be? I already understand the reason that tube amps can be pushed farther and louder than ss amps due to clipping, etc, I just want to know an estimate of what you owners would think it reaches. 300? 400?

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Also, if I were to need more power on occasion, would I be able to hook up an external amp like, say, the 728? Clueless on this, thanks.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I use a DB 728. I play in an eight piece funk/ska/r&b/rock band that can be very loud. I almost never have it max'd out.

I don't want to get into the tube/ss debate. I suggest you go and listen to the Ag and a similar SS setup. I bet you will find the Ag plenty loud for small to medium club venues in an average rock band.

What the 728 will give you is a lot more headroom. This means I get all the fat warm sound of tubes with an incredible punch in the attack.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wazup, tough guy,

well, Jimmy at Bass Boutique said that tube are about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 times louder than solid state wattage/loudness.

so if its 200 watts of tube, it maybe puts out the equilvalent of 350 watts of SS.

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    thanks joker, that's exactly what I was looking for. Tough guy, huh? You must've seen the stuff I got into about the Cirrus basses. :D

so are you gonna go for that Aguilar to replace your EA or just as another head for a different sound?

6. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i've never had a volume problem with my db359. it will hang with any 600-900 watt solid state amp out there. i can't believe aguilar hasn't got back to you, they're usually right on time.paul's bass page . i will change basses like i change clothes, but i will always use aguilar amps.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you didn't get a response, I would resend the email. I sent one a couple of weeks ago, and it took about a week for a response. The first thing the email said was "Sorry for the delay--we were all in Germany at the Music Trade shop."

So, my guess is that yours got lost in the backlog.

BTW, I'm also thinking about the DB 359. I'm about to pick up a second GS112, and in the next month, or so, I'm looking at getting an Aguilar head, or preamp to go with them. I tried out the DB 359 when I was at Bass Central a couple of weeks ago, and thought it sounded great.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You're crazy man! :D We're cool though. ;)

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    stalker! LOL

Anymore DB 659 power info guys? :)

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You mean 359? :p (The 659 is the preamp only.)

11. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I have no idea what 200 tube watts compares to in SS watts. I do know that my 359 with an efficient cab or two puts out some major sound pressure and I can't see needing more power. I guess the kind of music you play has a lot to do with it. I play Blues, Rock and Jazz in small, medium and larger clubs. In most cases, I'm the guy they ask to turn down. I think one of the more important keys to the volume equation is using efficient cabs. It's just as important as head wattage.

12. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I don't know if I am "weird" or something, but I thought the DB359 was a little underpowered. Great sounding amp, I just ran out of headroom.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, havent seen those posts, but you still a tough guy...

as for the EA, i'm still holding onto it cause i love it to death, but i have a feeling that the Aggie's gonna replace my Eden WT400. Good head, but something about the mosfet power section that just dont got that "umph" for me.

14. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY

Stacker, It would be interesting to know what kind of music you play and what is the efficiency of your cabs.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Well, its not exactly made for those huge outdoor or rap-metal gigs. honestly, i doubt it would comfortably compete with a pair of 100 watt Marshall stacks. like the Eden WT400 or EA iAMP350, its for those smaller, "get-to-know-you" shows. :p

16. I'd have to agree with PBFACTOR. I'd say the DB359 is probably in that same 600 - 900 S.S. watt range. Though, when I tried it out it was a smaller shop, but I barely had the volume turned up and the the amp shook the place. It was plugged into a GS410. However, that being said, the amp sounds so big and fat that it may have just seemed like a lot of power. But I would have to say that, at the very least, it's comparable to a 400/500 watt S.S. amp.

17. Keep in mind that the GS410 is a very efficient cab. Running the DB359 through that will produce a louder sound than if you ran it through a cab with a significantly lower efficiency rating. Although i do belive that the DB359 has probably enough power to tackle almost any situation. Even still though, i opted DB750 considering how much power it does have.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    mmmmmm....

Aguilar DB359 & GS410.....

(burp) oooo, feel a case of GAS comin' on...

19. Of course, I totally agree with you there. Extra power is always nice, it's just that with Aguilar you really pay for that extra power. But if you've got the money, there's no doubt that it's worth it.

20. The DB750 is actually cheaper than the DB359, go to MF, take a look, the price is about $50 if i remember cheaper.