Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 659 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agentcooper2001, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Hello, this is my first post here. I've been over at Harmony Central for a while, but you guys seem to know ALOT about bass gear! I have a question regarding the Aguilar DB 659 preamp. Would this preamp be good for slapping as well as fingerstyle? I don't slap often, but I like to now and then. I'm looking for Marcus Miller to early 311 slap tones. I have a MM Stingray and I'm using a SWR Goliath Sr. cabinet. If I need to, I wouldn't mind using 2 seperate preamps for different sounds. What do you recommend?

thanks

Curt

2. If there is something else, other than the DB659 you would recommend, I'm open to anything.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Welcome to TalkBass.

The DB659 preamp is basically the same as the DB359 head's preamp section.

You can check out sound clips of both slap and fingerstyle using the preamp section of the DB359 with a few different basses at a website called BassTasters run by Vanselus a fellow TBer.

I would say the DB659 would be an excellent preamp for both styles (of course the rest of the tone equation -- bass guitar & cabs -- should be appropriate for both styles as well).

I came close to getting a 659 myself (for my tastes, the Demeter VTBP-201S complements the cab I have better than the 659).

4. Thanks for the link. I will check out those samples of preamps. Are you in a band in Dallas? I lived there and Denton in the early to mid 90's. My band used to play in Deep Ellum pretty often back then.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah; check my 'Profile'.

We are trying to work out some issues with our website (currently www.sanejames.com).
    Some stuff is not very up to date on it.
    We are working on some new material and a CD, so we don't currently have any gigs scheduled.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've got the 659 and it gets good sounds and is versatile.

To be honest, I don't hear enough difference in preamps to justify paying $1000 for it though.

7. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    That new BBE Stuff is interesting and quite reasonable - though I haven't heard it.

8. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have a 659 & while its great, it leaves me wanting a parametric mid control.

If I had to do it again, I would get the BBE preamp. Its way more reasonable pricewise & seems more versatile.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i agree. killer preamp, but worth $300 more than most in its class? dunno bout that.

again listen to the Bass Taster clips, and i'm sure you'll find a sound that you dig. i personally cant get enough of my Kern preamp for both fingerstyle and slap. its a bit too dark sounding for most, but that's the tone that fits me best.

10. While on the subject of the 659..

You all say it's overpriced, and I COMPLETELY agree with you all... however.. Another question to ask is.. How mnay other preamps on the market have 5+ tubes?

11. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't think the 659 has 5+ tubes? It's got two 12AX7s.

The Ampeg SVP-pro has 5 tubes and it sounds pretty good. Much cheaper than the 659, but a little noisy.

12. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    BTW, it's pretty interesting that you mention Kern. It was the only preamp on basstasters that stood apart as really different sounding from the herd (for good or for worse). I like it; but yeah, it's dark.

13. sorry.. i thought we were talking about the 680... dufus here.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

its all good Zenter. but yea, the DB680 is certainly worth every penny. lucky for me, i got it before it started to cost a few too many pennies. ;)

15. well, i pulled the trigger on the Aguilar DB659. Hopefully it will suit my style of playing well. I'll post here my thoughts when it arrives. What do you think of the Crest Audio Vs1500 power amp? What about the Crown CE2000? Would either of these work well with this preamp and my Goliath Sr. cab?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    both power amps are great, and are as transparent as they can possibly be.

another great one of course is a QSC PLX series power amp. up until a few weeks ago, at a wedding reception my DJ friend was working, i got to literally pickup one, and was surprised that how light it was! not much heavier than my single rack spaced Peavey DPC1400x. the Peeve is already becoming a bit noisy, so i'm thinking about getting a PLX1602 for my Acme rig soon.

FYI, when looking for a good solid state power amp like the ones you're looking at, you'll want something as transparent as possible. exception usually being all tube power amps like the Aguilar DB728 or Demeter VTHF-300M, where having a little of that tube sound would do you some good.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - My 659 is pushed by a QSC PLX but I still use my SansAmp Bass Driver with it all the time for "bone tone."

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would 2nd Joker's PLX recommendation.

If money is an issue and you don't mind toting some extra weight, the QSC RMX models are a great value. I almost got an RMX1850HD when I bought my rig.

19. I got a good deal on a Crown CE-2000, so I'll be using that. I know it's going to kill my back, but hopefully it will sound really good and be worth my back pain!!

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I hear those are great amps. Congrats!