Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 680 settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Mar 19, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Well Im happy to say that I just scored a new DB 680! :D :bassist: Needless to say what a great preamp. Im used to having only limited EQ so this is a whole new game for me. Im curious as to what settings everyone else is using.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno, wish i had one. anyhow, with an amp like that IMO they're usually best flat, and the parametric eq used to adjust for room anomalies of to get a particular "sound". Those 2 fully parametric bands require a good hour or two of experimentation to give you a feel for the different frequency centers and bandwidths. then you can return them to flat, but know how to acheive a given sound. :)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh,

the possibilities of a parametric EQ. :)

the bass / treble knobs, as well as the bass / treble switches do lots as they are. but like Mike said, the middle equation of the EQ section lets you adjust for those funky rooms.

i.e. set the Q around medium to medium narrow, set the boost / cut to 9:00 or 3:00, and simply sweep thru the frequency range to find a sound that's more pleasing. depending on the room, you set the bass / treble stuff before or after you do mess with the parametric part of the EQ. all about experimentation.

OR if you're more adventurous, its really easy to sculpt your own killer sound...

a nice boost in the lower 250Hz range with a medium small Q bump makes for a wallop in the chest. or, cutting out a narrow to medium narrow swath in the 500Hz range alleviates a boomy, overly blanketing low end that gives some breathing room for instruments in your general vicinity. a nice dash of high end around 2.3kHz or 3kHz adds a nice "mwah" for your fretless, while a little in the 6K gives nice airy clarity.

and as always like its been said ad nauseum,

these are just some of my fav settings that have worked well with my cabs. and all of this highly dependent on your gear, band, room, etc. so best to try these settings when you're in the middle of a song / rehearsing, a few feet in front of your cabs.

4. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks guys! Yeah Ivan I spent a few hours with it yesterday trying to discover what the mids are capable of. Man Im seriously blown away by this pre. Joker like you said there is great flexibility to EQ to different types of rooms which is what Im used to doing with my Demeter. But theres also the ability to sculpt your sound which is not really something the Dem does well. With a little messing around I was able to get a tone close to the Dem but theres so much more. Everything from clear and smooth to syrupy thick!

Im a big fan of playing soloed bridge pup on my passive jazz. With the Dem it was almost like it was too revealing and I couldnt get away from that. I wanted no finger noise, tons of punch and that classic midrange burp in spades. I quickly found the perfect balance with the 680. With everything flat I kicked in the bass boost to +, cut the high mid band to about 10 with a medium wide bandwidth, a slight boost in low mids to about 2 at around 880 Hz, and slight treble cut. With the gain around 1 it gets a bit grainy but retains its quick punch. Man Im seriously in heaven! :bassist:

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that was one of the first "ah-ha!" moments for me, too... ;)

but again, congrats on the killer pre!

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats on a great pre!

With the berg cabs I pretty much leave it flat and tweek when needed. With the epi cabs I cut arround 700 and boost arround 5k. lots of great tones in the 680. :bassist:

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    It really does have a great sound flat with the Bergs. Wish I had some other cabs to try it with though. ;) I find that it can even be simple by leaving the mids flat and just using the boost knobs along with the treb and bass knobs for quick tweaking. I always thought there might be a tweaker lurking in me... :D

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do you mean when you found that you could dial it out with the para mids?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

one day at a local shop that carried the 680, i stumbled onto a setting that dialed that scratchy finger noise right out. i loved that, and suddenly, it hit me right across the back of the head that the 680 doesnt just give you a nice sound, but rather, a sound that can be "sculpted" to whatever you wish.

10. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Absolutely! I love playing with this thing to find all the great tones but the experimentation phase wont last forever. As I get more comfortable with it the knobs turn less. Im starting to wonder how I ever went without this preamp!

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would say more then an hour or two! :D This is great advice though. At one point I felt as though I was getting lost in turning knobs so I went back to flat. Finding my favorite sounds is getting easier now.