Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 728 or Demeter VTHF 300m ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Oct 11, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I am fond of tube amp [ I have Ampeg SVT2], now I am going to buy another amp to use with any of my pre amp [Aguilar DB 680, Demeter VTBP 201s and Glockenklang BassArt Pre].
    Anybody has the comparation/experience ?

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    i use hafler p3000 power amp with my glockenklang, hafler is very quiet amp that adds some warmth in the sound. At the end i have very clear, very punchy sound, totally uncoulored. Ampeg fans-stay away!

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I know James offers a 7 day trial with his equipment. so why dont you give one a whirl and see what you think? also, there are plenty of Aggie dealers who'll let you have an evaluation period.

4. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Thanks, but I live 15000 km away, I have no chance to try and return , the shipping cost will kill me. Perhaps in my place there is no one but me buying Aggie or Demeter.:(
    and no chance to resale it again . I must be sure before I buy them. I got offer for the same price for both of them, and both has 8 x 6550 power tube but different output [ Aggie 400 W , Demeter 300 W].

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    If it makes a difference on the power thing, I talked to the guys at Demeter about the power amp once before and they told me it was extremely conservatively rated (rated at 300 watts across the spectrum pre-distortion). He said if they were to rate it the way other companies do it would be between 350 and 400 watts.

6. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Thanks, I guess so, because Agguilar claim to have 400Watts with 8 x 6550 . I think I will get Demeter, a more friendly people:)

7. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    If Demeter could claim 400 watts, they would. The design of the Aguilar amp and the Demeter does not appear to be the same at all. For Demeter to talk about "low distortion" in a tube amp is silly. Distortion in tube amps measures high because of the nature of the (tube) design. Demeter specs less than .05% distortion for their amp, pretty normal for a tube amp. It is true that many companies that build transistor amps quote power ratings that are taken with little regard to distortion. In this Demeter is correct; but I wouldn't use this tidbit to assume that their amp is "really 350 or 400 watts". Or that the Aguilar 728 output of 400 watts is somehow overstated. There are many great tube amp designs that get 50 watts out of each tube.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say just get the lighter of the two.

tube power amps? "oi-vey...", says my back. :(

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    bassboat, I don't know if it's true or not, I just relayed the information I was given from Demeter.

10. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    I hear ya' bassman. No biggie. The thing that gets me going is some of the voodo stuff that companies say.

11. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    I didn't mean to say that tubes are inherently more distorted than transistors. What I was trying to point out is that amount of acceptable distortion in most tube instrument amp designs is usually a higher percentage than in a transistor amp design. Kind of similar to your point about class B designs. However, I am not an engineer, so I am going to keep my comments less technical, I think. My entirely subjective opinion is that it is generally voodo when someone says that their power rating is "really higher" than they state.

12. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    From my own experience , my audio system in my house use tube pre and power amp rated 30 watts but it is louder than the other transistor I have with higher RMS.