Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 728 or QSC 2402?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Feb 24, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    If you have to choose power amp to match with Aguilar DB 659 pre amp, which amp will you choose among those two? and what is the reason?

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'd go with the Aguilar. The tube sound always appealed to me more than raw solid-state power Of course, if price is an issue, the QSC will set you back about half as much.

3. If price isn't an issue, i'd go with the Aguilar all the way. It has the aguilar craftsmanship (not saying anything bad on the QSC craftsmanship, only raving about aguilars) and it's all tube which i personally like if price is not of issue. Also, being an Aguilar being used with and Aguilar, it's a plus as well.

If price is important, i'd get the QSC, plus, the aguilar preamp makes anything sound good. Though if price is an issue, you might want to consider the QSC RMX series, they are cheaper and even though they have weight, it doesn't seem like that's an issue for you since you are willing to get the DB728.

4. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Thanks for the feedback, but Aguilar is alot heavier [portability] and has less power output, I want to run on WayneJones cab which I thinking about . I read in the Talk bass is power hungry.
    But honestly I am more incline on the tube amp.
    What do you think if I use the Ampeg SVT 2 pro power amp section with the Aguilar pre amp? [using the return jack]. I have this SVT already but Ido not like the sound.

5. I hear that with Wayne Jones cabs, you really should go with Solid state because of how power hungry they are. I am considering maybe getting a wayne jones cab, cause one is supposed to be sufficient to play a loud show. Plus they are supposed to sound great, and if i do that, no question i'm going solid state. As for the SVT, you could try it, i don't see why it, it should sound fine. People use the SVT to power the 800w (i believe) SVT-810E cab, so it should do fine with 780w.

6. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I talk to Wayne Jones himself, he suggest me to use power amp with 700-1000 Watts RMS 8 Ohms output to match his single cab.Crest ,Crown or QSC will be appropiate or even DB 750. He said that his cab is less power hungry than Acme.
    Anyway, perhaps I should try with my SVT 2 before I decide on the Aggie 728, otherwise I'll get the QSC.

7. QSC...lighter weight. Costs less. More flexible power section and it fits in a standard rack. The Aggie is 18+ inches deep. A DB659 and the PLX2402 is essentially a more powerful option to the new DB750 IMO. That's what I'm looking to buy soon.