Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 728

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, May 26, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    What do you guys think about this power amp? It is 400 watts of tube power so I imagine that its extremely loud. Besides the weight and size of this thing is this a powerful amp? I've heard that tube power is a third of the solid state amps. My main question is; if i bought this would it be equal or louder then a 1000 watt solid state power amp? I'm assuming that this thing has some major volume

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It would be about as powerful as a 1600 SS amp, but it doesnt matter unless you are getting one used as they are no longer baing made. :scowl:

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have been using one for the last year. If you like tube amps, it's Nirvana. It weighs a ton, but has power to spare. It's so good, it's scary.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, you'l have to look used or NOS. The boys discontinued it.
    Very nice power amp though.

5. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    so it sounds if i can get my hands on one of these bad boys id be set for killer tone and id have enough head room i be able to keep up with a jumbo jet.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    No... The jumbo jet would almost have enough headroom to keep up with you ;) :bassist:

7. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    haha, noice. I have another question... Since the poweramp is all tubes it adds the warmth and feel to your sound. So I'm assuming all power amps effect your sound too. What ones are just total crap and what ones are good to get? I want a power amp that I can run stereo @ 8 ohms and have close or over 1000 watts :D

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well, you could always pick up a Demeter all tube 300 watt power amp (about 1200 SS) but its quite costly. Or you could get an all tube 300 watt head and use that as a power amp. If you want tubes, don't settle for less than tubes :smug:

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As a matter of fact, I just did snag a Demeter VTHF-300M off ebay! :D As I already have the DB 728, I really look forward to comparing these two excellent tube amps.

Tom.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You are treading very close to opening a can of worms with that question! [see a certain recently closed thread for a very interesting discussion of several good, but different amps]

If you are considering a solid state amp in that power handling range, then my recommendation is the Crest CA9 (if you don't care if your rig is heavy as all get out) or the Stewart World 2.1 (if you do care about weight, and want to go the lightweight route). Searching on these two amps should yield lots of results.

If you want to go the all tube power amp route (to pair up with your own preamp), then the Demeter is about the only product still in production. But, if you look used, then in addition to the 300M and the DB 728, you might want to consider the Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 (or 500), which are a good bit more affordable (and which use 6L6's, instead of 6550/KT-88's, like the Dem and Aggie).

There are a number of good all-tube head options, too, and once again, the search function should be enlightening.

Tom.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The DB 728 is just incredibly loud, full, rich and meaty sounding. You would have no problem at all with headroom and overall volume, I am sure! You may have some difficulty matching up an appropriate cab, though, as tube amps tend to have lower damping factors and therefore induce greater cone excursion.

One of my favorite rigs is Aguilar DB 680/728 into a Whappo, Jr. Incredible detail, clarity, fullness, dynamics, and just a palpable sense of sonic texture. Quite an experience, to say the least!

Tom.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    What he said... This is one of the best sounding rigs I own. I use a GS410 with the 680/728. I've never had a problem anywhere indoors or outdoors being heard. Indoors I can use it and not go thru the PA and its plenty loud

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    WHAT?!?!?!

dangnabbit, and here i am STILL waiting for mine from the shop. :meh:

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I got tired of waiting for your review, so I had to take matters into my own hands! ;)

Actually, I was on ebay looking for a Demeter tube DI, and when I saw the price (and condition) I couldn't pass it up!

Tom.

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I can't wait for that compairson! I've been really interested in both those amps for a while. The 728 is part of my dream rig but becuase it's been discontinued I'm starting to look at that demeter and have been wondering how in compairs.

16. mesa made a couple of stereo tube amps for guitar, the leas powerfull of which is 90 a side. if it could br bridged it should be enough power, but im not sure if it would be suitable for bass... technicaly pwer is power, but we all know its not ;)

has anyone ever heard of or used a mesa stereo 90/90 on bass. they are a lot easier to find then the strategy 400!

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Once I get the Dem (and my Strategy 400 back from the shop), I plan on doing a good deal of comparison amongst my tube amps, so stay tuned!

Tom.

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Tom, you're an out of control amp maniac!...

~S~

19. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yessir, you are indeed an amp maniac! :D (meant in the best of terms). Stat 400... DB728... Demeter... Eden VT300... Trace V8... any I'm forgetting? Just gotta add a Boogie Strat 500 to the mix (along with an SVT and Boogie Bass 400+, of course) and you can rest easy at night!

Actually... I had a Strat 500 that I sold to TB's own (former?) Ben Strange. Great amp, we A/B'd it with his Strat 400 and slightly preferred the 400 for all-around bass, though the 500 could produce some in-your-faceness that was also very cool, and had several cool features. Both are great bass amps.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Aguilar DB 359! :p And, if you count combos, Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo and Pignose B-100V

Actually, I have been keeping my eyes open for a Strategy 500, and I would not rule out a vintage SVT or V4B. ;)