Aguilar DB 750---Anything as good but cheaper?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazz5757, Jan 27, 2004.

1. I've got a lot of $$$ tied up in my DB 750 that I would like to free up for other uses. It IS a great amp with plenty of headroom but pricey (and heavy) as am sure most of you are aware. Given a limit of a grand to spend, give me your picks on some other possibilities, either as a hybrid amp such as this one, or as a separate power amp and pre-amp. I play mainly classic rock through vintage p basses.
  2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've used Ampeg SVT-4 Pro's for about 6 years. I bought an Aguilar DB750 and used it for 3 gigs and quickly went back to my Ampeg SVT-4 Pro.

The SVT-4 Pro has as much power, but a much more flexible preamp than the Aguilar.

Try it, you'll like it !!!
  3. Thanks Ncognito-----what cabs are you using with the Ampeg SVT4Pro?---depending on the venue I use a combination of 2 Eden 210 XLT's and 1 Aguilar GS112. Also curious as to what basses you regularly use as well---thanks!
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Ive heard people compare ashdown to aguilar. I have a preamp from each and personaly think they are very different but still similar. If that makes sence.:rolleyes:
  5. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Hi jazz5757

I've used an Eden 410xlt for about the last 7 years. If I have a very small gig, I'll pull out an Eden 210xlt.

I have several Modulus Jazz basses, all 4 stringers.

How do you like the Aguilar? Can it stand up to a 210xlt? I've been thinking about 12" cabinets lately.
  6. Hi Ncognito:

The Aguilar GS112 is a very nice cab but IMHO it's no match for the 210XLT. Having said that, it's still quite punchy with a nice overall response. Frankly, it would work just fine for small club dates but I end up taking the Eden for those situations out of habit and the fact that the band just likes the sound.
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If you like the Aguilar sound, but want something about the DB659 preamp and a light QSC PLX or stewart world power amp.
  8. Yeah, that AG500 may be more like it but I'd have to buy new considering it just came out. The DB659 preamp coupled with a QSC or Stewart power amp might be a better choice.
  9. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I agree. The new amp is not in stores yet, and is all solid-state. You'd get closer to the DB 750 with a Db 659 and a QSC.
  10. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am in the middle of purchasing the DB659/ QSC PLX 1602 combination right now. Only 27 pounds total. 1600W of goodness bridged into my two GS112 cabs
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also check out the Stewart 1.2 poweramp with the DB659. That would be two very light rack spaces with plenty of power.

The Ashdowns are incredible amps as well.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i thought this was mostly a question of "affordablity"?

if that be the case, i love SWR's SM500. brand new, they're a bit over a grand, but i've seen more than a few in great condition on ebay for half that.

sure, its not in a class even close to the Aguilar, its still a great sounding head with a nicely tubey sound via its single 12AX7, that i'm sure you could swap for a warmer, more hifi JAN GE. and the EQ is one of the best i've seen from SWR. it also sounds the most musical, too, unlike the other SWR heads, who's EQ's dont give me nearly as much flexiblity to dial in the ol' Joker tone.

also, how much are the new AG's going for? doesnt seem like it'd be all much cheaper, no? its still an aguilar, eh?
  13. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yep, ashdown amps are great too !!!
  14. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

I happen to have one of those coming up on the selling block if that is the route you'd like to go. :D
  15. I'd go as far to say that you could get almost exactly the same tone from a DB 659 as you can from a DB 750. The DB 750 has what is essentially a DB 659 preamp in it. the only difference would be in the power amp, which is very minimal in my opinion.
  16. Some great information here guys, but I think Jokerjkny hit upon an important consideration of mine and that's price. Most of the suggestions will take we well over a grand and some nearly as much as $1500. I paid $1800 for my DB750 but it was virtually new---I actually bought it from Mike Tobias who only used it to demo his basses but decided to switch to EA amps I believe. I'm guessing the most it would fetch on Ebay or elsewhere would be about $1600, which may be good reason to just hang onto it for now. Certainly there are other nice units to choose from---maybe an SWR 750 or GK 1001---neither of which I've tried, though I'd be under no illusion that their in the same league with the Aguilar. Perhaps the focus should be more on the sound I'm going for, which for lack of a better description would be a "ballsier" tone than I'm getting now---for the sake of discussion I'm using 2 Eden 210 XLT's with the DB750---any thoughts gang?
  17. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    for a ballsier tone you could try changing the preamp tubes in the DB750, you could also try a cabinet with a larger speaker (12" or 15")
  18. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Hey KB

I tried several different preamp tubes with my DB750 with NO success. I had to get rid of it and go back to my Ampeg SVT-4 Pro.

Oh well!!!
  19. Hey Ncognito: Just how would you describe the tonal difference between the DB750 and the SVT4Pro? I went to Harmony Central's user reviews and they just blasted the 4Pro! It sounds like in general they are very unreliable and I just don't need that kind of nonsense with my gear----it was quite disappointing to read.