Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 750 & Bergantino HT cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Feb 3, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Anyone use/gig with the Aguilar DB 750 and Bergantino HT cabs? Opinions? Anyone with experience please share how this setup compares to the DB 750 with other cabs. Thanks!

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a 680/728 combo and honestly I have not been happy with the sound. I started using my eden 410 xlt again. The cab seemed to fart out with this combo. With my other amps including a WT800 it sounded great. I love the sound of the aguilar and I love the sound of the HT (I have a HT310) but the combo doesn't work for me. That being said, I have also tried it with my DB359 and it sounds great.

I know the 400 watts is not too much power, but I never got the sounds I wanted at higher volumes...

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I saw a guy use a db750 and 322 with a lakland bass. The tone was big and round with great definition and very clear. He was playing out side as well (mile high). I use a 322 with a db680/crest and a modulus bass. The lows are big and powerfull and the upper mids cut through almost too much. Mids all the way through the top end are very hi/fi (not sterile) the lows are a bit open.

btw, every sence I heard the 750/322 combo, Ive had gas for a db750.

4. I have Aguilar gear and a HT 322 and I'm not crazy about the tone. I personally like the Aguilar gear through Epifani cabs better, particularly the Epi NYC 2x12. This is just my ears, others will disagree. I find Demeter 201s a better preamp through the 322.

Just my opinion, not trying to provoke any wars.

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1, I use my LAKLAND 4-94 through a DB750 w/ an Epifani T410UL and it is clear, articulate and puchy!

6. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This is consistent with my experience using all tube amps with low efficiency cabs. I had an ampeg svt-cl I ran through Acme cabs and it was pretty bad. Bergs arent as inefficient as Acme so I was hoping that the solid state power section of the DB 750 would drive them better.

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks zone! I might get a chance to head over to Broadway today and give Gary a visit. :D

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No worries! Im interested to hear what people have experienced so thanks for your input. Hopefully I will be able to try the DB750 today with Berg HT and NV cabs as well as Epi and Accugroove. Here we go. The gas is becoming overwhelming! :help: :)

9. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Man you are *lucky* to be able to go someplace and hear all that great gear! Be sure to let us know what your ears thought about the experience.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive got an idea. Why dont you buy my Fbass then Ill go to broadway and get the 750. :smug: Ya, thats it. :D

Hey while your there, check out the epi 502ul. These are my top two contenders.

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I didnt get a chance to check out even a fraction of the gear I wanted to. :crying: :D I wanted to try out lots of cabs like Epifani, Berg NV, Accugroove, EA, and Glock as well as the iamps and Glock Soul head but I didnt get a chance.

Anyway what I did do was check out the DB 750 with the Berg HT 210/115 against a GS 410. Keep in mind that I could barely turn this thing up! :bassist:

I liked the tone of the amp with the Bergs better. The 410 was pretty smooth sounding even with the gain up to about 2:00. The Bergs on the other hand got pretty gruff sounding and I liked it. Very middy it seemed. The Bergs seemed to have more heft to the tone in the lows and mids. Then there was the highs. Ive just been spoiled by the Bergs and nothing seems to sound as good in the highs. With the bright switch engaged the 410 tweeter sounded a bit clacky while the Berg tweets retained their silky smoothness.

I was really trying the DB 750 to see how it compared to the QSC PLX2402/Dem VTBP-201s I use. I will have to directly A/B them another day through the Bergs. They are different but I dont know what I like better. The Demeter setup is cleaner sounding and more flexible while the 750 has slightly more powerful EQ. In the near future Im going to A/B the DB 659 with my QSC against the 750.

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wanted to but didnt get a chance... it got waaay too crowded in there! Have you heard the 502ul yet? Is that the preamp or the head?

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I played it a bit and really liked it. Gary has both the head and pre and the look exactly alike with the same features other than power, weight and cost. Its sounds somewhat the same but different than the db750. They both have pro's and con's when compared to each other.

14. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Accurate accessment... I think the difference you will hear will be when you raise the volume. I don't know if the DB659 will be a fair assessment of the DB750. I've played thru both and the 659 does not really sound like the Db750. It has the aguilar sound but not the same as the 750. Having owned demeter gear, the sounds are worlds apart. The preamps really do different things. I would have to say that the demeter is more "neutral" than the aguilar... Get the aguilar and keep the demeter

15. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Unfortunately if you did get the UL, it wouldnt make much impact on the overall weight of your rig. :D

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I like that advice! I would like both pres but I really dont need them. I liked the "Aggie" sound of the DB 750 though. So where do you think the difference lies between the 659 + a good power amp and the 750? Could it be in the power section or is it preamp related? I thought the 659 and 750 would sound very similar.

17. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It's something with the preamp. I initially planned on getting a 659 and thought it would basically reproduce the tone I was getting out of my 359. I tried this with a DB728 (all tube power amp) and expected this to sound like the 359 but louder... Was not the same. This is why I opted for the 680. The 680 is not a direct replacement for the 750, but I was more pleased with the sound.

If you're not gonna get the 750 consider the 680 and keeping your poweramp

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm in the minority, but didnt really dig the sound. i.e. i've used my 680/stewart, 359 rigs with various Berg cabs, and found the sound too congested and not very articulate in the mids. up the volume, and the tone was a too blurry for my tastes. almost like too much tubey goodness if that was ever a bad thing.

IMHO, i like, however, the old Aggie on Aggie sound. Dave's got great ears, and its worth your while to stick to it. with Berg gear, nothing rocks it like EA amplification. really lets the naturally sweet voice of the Berg to shine thru.

but keep in mind, i like a very clear hifi kinda sound, i.e. mostly using Epifani and Acme cabs w/ iAMP, Demeter & U5 gear.

still, i'm waiting for Jim to release his own set of amps. :bassist: