Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 750 into Acme cabs anyone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Has anyone run this rig? If so, can you comment on the match?

2. If TBer Oddio does not show up on your thread, you might want to PM him for his experiences with this combination.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    HOLY CRAP is all i remember... ;)

seriously, that's a great combo. @ the DC GTG, i got to try my own B2 w/ an Aguilar DB750, and the sound was tremendous. full fatten glory. also, very tight, and punchy ala the massive wattage. had me gas'in for one.

but the only thing that still scares me is the weight of the 750. its a monstrosity.

4. Hey! Sorry I'm late... :) They are a GREAT matchup. Very punchy; tight and articulate.

Allow me to take a minute to emphasize that the Aggie has more than enough power to crease your cones. In other words, don't crank the bass all the way up and use your best judgement when slappin' and poppin'. That said, all speakers blow drivers occasionally, and Andy will offer excellent support.

Enjoy!!!

5. I was just reading my post above and thinking that perhaps the "warning" came across a bit strong. I've actually played many gigs with a DB750 running into a pair of 4ohm Acme B2 cabinets. Great results every time and no problems.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My small-gig setup is the 750 + one 8 ohm B2. Bring the cab up to ear-level and prepare to be crushed sonically. I looooooooove the combination.

7. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Would a db 750 have enough power to drive to b2's fully. Those are really hungry cabs aren't they? I know alexclaber drives his cabs with 900 watts each. I've been looking at a alot of lightweight/fatsounding cabs lately and I'd dismissed the acmes as I didn't think that they would be very loud/full with 375 watts in them, or maybe 488 watts at two ohms,

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

get two 4 ohm Acmes, and you'll be sending 925 watts @ 2 ohms altogether...

whether or not it'd be loud enough for you is up to you, but it'd definitely be for moi.

9. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Well, I'm currently running two aguilar gs210's, but that big bottom end available in acmes seems very intriguing. Do you think I would be at least as loud with two 4 ohm acmes as I am now with two 8 ohm aguilars

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    honestly,

i doubt it. acmes are power hungry, and not the loudest cabs in the world. if you need volume, you're gonna need more unfortunately. the Acmes werent built for mondo loud situations. but for guys like me, who are blessed w/ guitar players who know how to use their masterV knob, and drummers with a keen sense of dynamics, the acmes are the shizz.

11. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Thanks for the honest input Joker, I guess that if I want to stick with my db750 the acmes would not be the choice for me.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I think that if you have a good grasp on your room volume, Acmes are awesome. But, if you just want to blast without using the room's acoustics to your advantage, go with. . . . Schroeders?

13. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I run 2 Acme Low B2s 4ohm as well right now with a Kern IP777 pre. I'm in the middle of A/B/C'ing my Yamaha p5000s with a used QSC 3402 I got off ebay and a Crest CA-9 I'm getting from Bass Central next week.

If none of these give me what I'm looking for, I may be looking to the aggie. The QSC is impressive, but seems to not provide the same growl that the Yamaha does, even though it's putting out about 400 more watts. Love the weight factor, though. Anxious to try the Crest when it gets here. It's kind of beat up cosmetically apparently, but in great working order accoring to the good folks at Bass Central.

14. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It's more tone I'm looking for and don't need to really ever be super loud. When we play outside or in large rooms, I've got PA support.

I will say, though, that finding an amp that will give me adequate headroom thru the Acmes has been a challenge. The QSC PLX 3402 I just got has given me the headroom I've been looking for, but at some sacrifice in tone. I'm hoping the Crest CA-9 might solve it once and for all.

I like having some control to tame a room, but I'm not one to need 3 bands of mids and 2 of highs to play around with. To that end, the Kern suits me just fine. Most of the basses I run are active, and so I try to find a nice setting on the Kern and then tweak from my bass if need be.

The one quest I've been on though has been for additional headroom, especially on those gigs where I'm not running into the PA.

15. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I stack my Acmes in various combinations depending on the room and how well I can hear myself. I've affectionately labeled the first as the "T-Stack" with one Acme on it's side, woofer high, and forming a "T" with my other Acme. Then there's the "Double Stack" with both cabs stacked vertically on end when I need to hear myself more so my stage volume does not go through the roof and our drummer starts yelling at me.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    omg,

jive1 is offering a ridiculous NAMM special on a DB750!

good lord, i need another amp like i need another hole in the head... :rollno: