Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 750 owners: HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AGTMAUVE, Sep 14, 2005.

1. AGTMAUVE

AGTMAUVE

Jul 28, 2002
    I purchased a used DB 750 last week. When muted, everything is quiet. There seems to be an excessive amount of background noise when the switch is in the operate position. This happens with the gain and master all the way down and regardless of whether a bass is plugged in. So, I need to know if this is normal operation for this amp or if it needs to be fixed.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Depends on what you have it hooked up to. Does your cab have a tweeter? What happens if the tweeter is turned off?

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Except for the fans, my 750 is dead quiet even with the operate switch engaged.

4. AGTMAUVE

AGTMAUVE

Jul 28, 2002
    It's running through a pair of EA CXL 12 s .
    The tweeters are about half way up.
    This hasn't happened with the last two amps they have been paired with ... and one of them is a 23 year old mesa tube amp.

5. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I’ve been playing with an AG500 with my Cxl 112 and I also note this. The only difference is that the noise is there even when I mute the amp :confused:

Pedro

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Hmmmmmm... :meh: As a recent buyer of a slightly used DB750, I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this thread... :eyebrow: I hope you'll get some useful answers!

Thus far, my Aggie is as quite as a church mouse... other than the fans... and they are, indeed, a little on the loud side. My Ashdown ABM500-RC Evo-II has two fans, too, and you can't hear them... unless you stick your ear right up next to them!

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto

You should give aguilar a call.

8. Mine is quiet also...except for the fans.
    Using Bergs, Accugroove and Sadowsky.

How do you like the amp...tones, power etc. ??

9. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Mine is quiet also, it's the 2005 model with new handes and I believe on these the loud fan issue has been fixed because it too is quiet...

10. They changed the front handles? I guess that means I have an earlier version. It is dead silent save for the fan (which is also very quiet).

11. i have a db750 and had the same problem.

Sorry for the non technical explanation in advance

Background on its pedigree.

I had gotten the amp on a trade. I was hearing a sympathy vibration from inside the amp when I would hit certain notes. I sent the amp to Aggie to be checked out.. They took the amp completely apart and rebuilt it from scratch. It turned out to be nothing but a design flaw.

When I got the head back I was having the same problem you are describing.
    This time I took it to a local guru. Here is what he found after checking out everything inside the amp.

When they rebuilt the amp they did a cold solder somewhere on one of the circuit boards that deals with filtering or buffering extraneous noise. He repaired the problem. The amp works and plays beautifuly now. I have not had a problem since.

I hope this helps you.

Mark