Aguilar db 750 -- play it yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcdbass, Mar 27, 2002.

1. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Hey all ...

Has anyone had a chance to check out that db 750 yet? I've been asking at stores ... "due any day now."

I would love to hear from anyone who's played that head ... especially thru (2) Aguilar gs 112 cabs (which is the set-up I'm thinking of).

Ideas, comments, suggestions, etc.

2. I should be able to give you my views on it next week hopefully. (Gard :rolleyes: :D ) When it arrives, i'm going to give it a long test run. As far as cabs go though, i got a GS410 to go with it, not 2 GS112s. I'll give you a warning though, the power section on the DB750 is so large, you better be carefully. It wouldn't be too hard to blow the cabs out. I would personally recommend getting the DB359 and those two cabs. Loads of power, great tube sound, and everything you've come to expect from Aguilar.
  3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I heard it at Bass Day this past October, and was duly impressed. I want one. Unfortunately my wife made a bit too much money last year so no tax refund this year :mad: . It'll have to wait.

I had the DB359, and ran two 8 ohm cabs for a 4 ohm load, and I found the 200 watts to be inadequate for the bigger gigs. If you've got $1300 for the 359, I'd recommend waiting 'til you've saved the extra $500 for the 750.
  4. Actually, since the new prices came out, the DB750 is $50 cheaper than the DB359. I believe it's $1500 on average normally for the DB750 and I guess about $1550 for the DB359 on normal basis.

Of course you can always try to get a deal from the place your purchasing from. That's what i did :D
  5. I noticed today that the DB750 pictured in the Aguilar site might not be the one in production. the only reason I'm saying this is because the bass palace ( has a picture of a model that just came in and, lookwise, there are definitely some differences in the front fascia of the unit.

I imagine the one from the bass palace is more accurate as it claims that they just received this unit from Aguilar? Is that right?
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    That one a basspalace is an old picture. They've only recieved one and never had a chance to get it out of the box. I was begging Bernie to bust it out last week, but he had been forbidden by the Swami!!!
  7. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    haha, i was there last week too, right after it came in, and the one guy was like, oh, just so you know, theres a brand new db750 in one of those boxes over there.....i almost crapped my pants, and he said if swami came back and saw the box was opened, we'd both be dead. that was the third one shipped from aguilar, and the next 3 after that are already sold, but after those, theyll be getting stocked regularly. and for those of you in the PA/NY/NJ area, if you havent been to bass palace yet, YOU NEED TO GO!
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? explain, craig... what and who were you competing with and what are you using now in reaction to that...
  9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Competeing with :confused: ...I'm a bit confused by your question, joker. I presently use a Trace Elliot (Elliott sp? I always forget) 600 watt solid state amp running 2 Epifani 3x10 cabs.

If you're surprised the DB359 didn't cut some of the bigger gigs, well that was my experience. The thing with an all tube rig, to my ears anyway, is that there's a barely perceptible delay in attack that kinda bugs me a bit. Granted the Aguilar stuff is the best sounding tube gear out there IMO. The 400 watt amp/pre combo is (was) really what I needed, but was not affordable.

Also, when I owned the DB359 I was using an SWR 2x10 + 4x10 4 ohm load setup. The 2 Epi 3x10s work more like a 2 ohm load (2 x 5.3 ohms = ?), and I did have the modified 4 ohm/2 ohm version (standard is 4 ohm/8 ohm...wouldn't even handle the 3x10s).

Anyway...I'm still considering the 750. 900+ watts at 2 ohms...yikes!
  10. Mind you also that, it's not a 750w poweramp at 4 ohms. It's a much higher poweramp actually, the actual number i don't know. The 750w is tube rated. As in, that's 750 of achievable power, not the total power of the amp. So really it's like a 1500w or more poweramp.
  11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Not according to Aguilar's website. It's 750w @ 4 ohms, 975w @ 2 ohms. The power section is all solid state. Only the pre-amp is tube driven.

That's what makes this a better design for what I like to hear. You've got the warmth of tubes in the pre-amp with the quick response of solid state power supplying signal to the cabs.
  12. I spoke with PJ at Aguilar directly on the phone and so it's first hand sorce. He told me that they rated it like a tube amp, and that it is actually like a 1500w poweramp.
  13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Could someone please expain to me what attainable watts is vrs rms vrs peak watts? I do understand that this is all speculation because there is no standard for saying when a unit has reached its limit hence alot of the numbers mean nothing but the "rated like a tube amp/attainable watts is new turms for me.

14. A typical amplifier rated at 750w will not be able to actually push that kind of power. The reason being is that before it gets there, the amp will clip and distort like crazy. This is how normal S.S. poweramps are rated. Attainable power means that if it is rated at 750w, and that's said to be the attainable power, you can reach that much power before the amp clips and cause problems. Rated like a tube amp just compares it to the fact that, when a tube amp is rated at 200w, you can push the tubes to the max and actually put to use the 200w. a 200w S.S. poweramp can not actually reach that same amount of power, which is one reason why tube amps are louder than an S.S. amp rated at the same power.
  15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  16. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I was the first guy to get the amp since I got mine drop shipped.

First of all, the 750 is exactly what I was looking for. IT has the warmth of a tube and with the hifi edge to it.

I have not played this amp through 10's but I have with 12's which react alittle slower than 10's do. But playing through the 12's I love it. I have never heard my basses this way before. I can truely hear what they are suppose to sound like. With aguilar amps you hear the true sound of your bass. the amps are not you get the natural sound. This amp is very loud. maybe too much. The input gain is higher than normal so it is not the quitest amp around but dont let that detour you from getting this amp....for the tone you cant beat least in my book.

The amp is heavyer than I thought it would be. but not too heavy. lighter than an Ampeg SVT classic. That is waht I was barrowing while I was waiting for my 750. I was used to carrying a Walter Woods around so this is alittle getting used to.

check this amp think it is the greatest amp and is worth the wait that everyone has had to do.

best of luck to everyone
  17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Now I know what you mean MrFC...thanks for clearing some stuff up folks, very infomative and thanks.

Trace Elliott always claimed to rate their amps "truthfully" as well. My 600 is very loud. At a huge gig I turn it up to 2 and 1/2.

story...if you don't mind me asking...what did you end up paying for your 750?
  18. Andrew Jones, according to PJ it is comparible to other companies who claim that their amps are around 1500w, so it's not a peak of 1500.
  19. How loud is this thing? Loud enough so that you don't want to run it with just one 410? Would it be crazy to hook this up to a a pair od 8ohms 210s?
  20. It should be fine, but i'll tell you a story PJ at Aguilar told me. They had it hooked up to two GS410 cabs and blew them both.