Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB-750 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anastasio24, Dec 17, 2005.

1. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I have read the manual and I don't see a way to do this but I thought I would ask. I want to know if it is possible to run an outboard preamp through the power amp section of the DB-750. I don't see a need for this 99% of the time as the 750 has great tone but I would like to sell my extra power amp since I would rarely use it if the Aguilar can do it.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks for any info in advance!

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Ummmm, why wouldn't you just use the Poweramp In jack on the back of the head. It is referred to in the manual.

Or I guess you could use the Effects Return jack, if you wanted.

3. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    The poweramp in jack was my first thought but the manual states that it is for slaving another DB750. I guess the amp won't know that it isn't a 750 though. I guess I could give that a shot and see if it works...

4. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    Thanks for info. I just tried my ADA MB1 into my DB750 and it works great. Everything is disabled on the front once I plug into that jack and the DB750 becomes a power amp only.

Thanks again. Now I can sell my 1602.

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Glad I could help! Now, off to play!

6. What about your ADA MB1 into your DB750, maybe using both preamps will give you a really nice sound?

just an idea :)

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow! I've known for most of my life that... (sorry, I got distracted watching 'da Bills complete another long pass against the Denver)... I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer; especially when it comes to stuff like this. :meh:

So, this sounds like I might be able to use the fabulous tone-shaping capabilites of my Ashdown ABM500-RC Evo-II... and "RC" means I have the rack-mount version... as a pre-amp, too? If true, and please forgive my ignorance, what do I do? Do I connect the "power jack" from the back of the Big Daddy Aggie to the "Sub-Bass Output" on the front of the Evo-II? The following is a direct quote from the manual:

"SUB OUT- This output socket provides a Low Pass filtered output for connection to a power amplifier driving a sub unit for additional extra-low bottom end. This may also be used to drive other power amplifiers to provide additional low bottom end to the system. The Low Pass filter is fixed at 160Hz."

Again... pardon my ignorance, but something about "extra/additional low bottom end..." and "fixed at 160Hz" is bothering me. So, 'kjones' also mentioned "...you could use the Effects Return jack, if you wanted..." So, the following is another direct quote, but edited, from the manual:

"EFFECTS SEND/RETURN- ...the EFFECTS SEND socket can also be used as a Line Out socket if required. The signal path through the preamp is only broken when a jack plug is inserted into the EFFECTS RETURN socket. The EFFECTS SEND is situated after the EQ, Valve section and Sub Bass processor."

Another question... what about speaker connections? I use 2 x 4 Ohm cabinets. As y'all know, the Big Daddy Aggie will handle 2 Ohms all night long 'til the cows come home. However, the Evo-II can only go as low as 4 Ohms.

I've been thinking about selling my Evo-II, and I actually have a potential buyer lined up. However, if I can make this work, I just might have to go get me a 6-space rack, and mount this in along with my tuner and Big Daddy Aggie! I wonder if SKB makes a 6-spacer with wheels... hmmmm... :meh:

All comments and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated! :help:

Didn't mean to butt-in on your thread, 'anastasio24', but I hope my question is appropriate here... yeah? :)

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    hmmm...interesting, how do you think the aggie power amp sounds with other pre-amps... :)

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    OK, Kee, I'm back from playing. I assume what you're trying to do is use your Ashdown as a pre, and have all the signal from that go into the 750.

See, the problem if you use the sub out is you're only getting frequencies below 160Hz, so the 750 wouldn't be getting a huge chunk of your sound. So if you want your signal path to be as I said in para one, you would connect the bass into the Ashdown, and patch the effects send on the Ashdown into the Poweramp In jack on the 750. That oughtta work. And if you do that, you're fine connecting two 4 ohm speakers to the 750. It's the power section that has to worry about total impedance, not the pre section (which doesn't even see the speakers)

jacove, unfortunately I can't answer your question as I like the 750 as is, and have never tried it another way.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    it sounds freakin' awesome, and i will forever be inundating Dave B. and Alex A's inbox asking for a power section only version of the DB750.

when i was a crazy young man, i was running my DB680 into the power amp in of my old DB750, and good golly miss molly, there was many a nite where my pants didnt make the encore.

seriously, its sounded terrifico, magnifico, bellissimo.

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    joker, I totally get the parametric ability of the 680 to take out some offending frequency, which you can't do with the 750. Ignoring that, what kind of tone differences were there as opposed to going straight into the 750?

12. I have used my 680 into a 750 and agree it is the bomb...

kjones - 'what kind of tone differences were there as opposed to going straight into the 750?"

Personally, I think the 680 is a lot more hi fi sounding than the 750 on its own....very crisp high end and tighter and deeper bottom, not as syrupy or pillowy as the front end of the 750. A lot more control of the mids (obviously) at more specific points allow you to really dial in the mids with the "balls" of the 750 driving the end result! A very good combination...I like it better than my HBP-1 but it is a LOT of weight to carry around :eek: ....I also think that the 750 and the 680 are totally opposite ends of the design spectrum....the 750 is supposed to just sound "good" period....I have never seen anyone get a sound out of one that flat out sucks....

On the other hand, the 680 is VERY precise even though there are more tubes in it than the 750...the EQ can be intimidating to some I am sure, whereas the 750 is just so simple....set it flat, hit a note and add what you like :D I think the 750 is pretty idiot proof, whereas I have seen a couple of guys trying to get a tone out of the 680 that were obviously way over there heads!! (At least IMO, LOL!) I actually prefer the 750 for live use and the 680 in the studio where the benefits are very prevalent. I have used the 680 live with a CA9 with very good results (I REALLY love it with a 728....but who doesn't?) but I find that I have it sounding very much like the 750.... :D Just my $.02....

Peace,

T

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the 680 was a touch more hifi and clearer. while i like the warmth and fatness of the regular preamp, i'm more of the hifi tubey air kinda gent, and the 680 has yet to fail me in that regard.

again, coupling the hifi sweetness of the 680, with a healthy fat punchy authority of the 750 was unreal. again, i dunno how the aguilar guys did it, but the 750 has the warmth and lower middy weight of an all tube power section, yet without the sluggish response, and massive punch to spare.

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Time zones are a trip! I love you already 'kjones!' I, too, am just back from a gig... a Christmas thang, that's why I'm home by 11-something p.m. (Hawaii time)...

So, tomorrow after the Cowboy / Redskins game, me and my other band will be holding our usual Sunday practice session. You see... NFL football starts very early in the morning out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so rabid football fans like myself get to wake up and watch the games over coffee (not beer... and that can be a good thing), thus having the afternoons free to do whatever... unless the boss (that be wife for all you young little whippersnappers...) has more pressing needs that must be attended to...

...tomorrow (almost today, now...) I will give your suggestion a shot. I will hook-up my Ashdown from the Effects Send, to the Aguilar's Poweramp Jack, hook-up both of my 4 Ohm cabs, then ROCK THE FREAKIN' HOUSE... Do I have that right?

Thanks for making it easy for me, man! When it comes to this kinda stuff I gotta be talked to like a six year-old, and whether you realize it or not, that's what you did...

Mucho Mahalos, and a Mele Kalikimaka to you and yours! :cool:

15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks, kee, let us know how it sounds when you get it all together.

tommixx and joker, I appreciate your clear description of the differences. I had a 680 which I previously used to warm up the front end of a WWU, and I guess I'm wondering what I missed out on by selling it. I'm very happy with my 750 as is, though, as the tone I'm looking for in kind of an updated Jack Bruce sound--warm and huge, but with some articulation on the top, and I think the 750 already gives me that.

OTOH, I totally agree with joker, Aguilar is missing a sure bet. They really ought to put out the power side of the 750 as a standalone amp. I think it would sell up a storm.

16. I don't have my DB750 anymore...dang...but wouldn't you run the Ashdown pre into the DB750 Loop Return/in ?? not the power amp in...? Sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

17. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    BigString, I'm pretty sure it will work the way I described. Here's how the Poweramp In jack is described in the manual:

Poweramp in:

The DB750 can be used as a stand alone poweramp or for slaving two DB750s together.

Not to mention, you'll see that way worked for asastasio24. I suspect it would work either way.

18. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    Today I tried the MB1 again through the 750. I used the exact settings on the MB1 that Mike Gordon is supposed to use. I then plugged in my Quantum 5 and boom!!!! Instant Phish tone. It is exactly the same sound Mike has. My jaw dropped. The 750 might be the best power amp I have ever used. I agree there should be a stand alone of the power section.

As a point of reference, I also plugged in my Ashdown RPM-1 pre into the 750. Sounds a LOT better than when I plugged it into PLX 1602.

While the DB750 sounds great as a power amp, it is great by itself too. Best amp I have ever played. Completely worth the $$$$ it set me back.

While I am on the topic of cost, I got a great price on the DB-750 (and a Whappo Jr and a Roscoe LG3005) at Jive Sound. If you are interested in any gear I recommend checking him out at jivesound.com

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    did you find the power amp to be colored in some fashion?...I'm thinking of getting a single unit pre-amp with great eq possibilites, as a sort of backup if the room is hard to handle...any suggestions?

20. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I did not find any coloration at all. That is why I was so floored.