Aguilar DB-750 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anastasio24, Dec 17, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Any thoughts on the Crest CA-9 vs. Db750 Power amp section...

2. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well... I did it. I followed your instructions, 'kjones', as you had advised. I also took a look at both my Aguilar and Ashdown manuals. I'm afraid I need a poet to adequately describe the audio experience that occurred today at practice. I am especially glad that things went so well, 'cuz it helped me forget all about the humiliating butt whipping the Redskins put on the Cowboys! :crying: :bawl:

My little guitar player... with his 100 watt Marshall... was equally impressed. The EQs on the ABM500 Evo-II are, IMO, very broad-range and sensitive, and I think they are one of this amp's finest features. I was able to dial-up some beautiful sounding tones... crisp as a fresh bag of potato chips, bright and scintillating as a laser beam, and a fat, full bottom like J Lo's... then there is the ability to blend-in the Evo-s Valve Drive, as well as the Sub-Harmonic, which I'll use on a couple of cover tunes... 'Politician' and 'Born Under a Bad Sign' come to mind.

The difference between this set-up and the Big Daddy Aggie standing alone is night & day! Needless to say, I luv my Aggie... I luv it's POWER, but it's simplicity made it that much more appealing. I also luv my Evo-II. I've been able to create some wonderful tones out of it. Now... thanks to both 'anistasio24' for starting this thread, and you, 'kjones', for your advice... I can now have the best of both worlds. This is just outstanding! :hyper:

My cabs are: NV215 and a D410XLT. I have ordered an NV425 from Juan Ortiz over there in Sacramento area. I plan on pairing the two Bergs together, and use the Eden for the really small venues... or maybe sell it... :meh: I'll decide on that at some point.

So now... I gotta get a 6-space rack! I'll be looking for one with wheels... that's for damn sure!

Thank you gentlemen... and thank you TB. I'll take this revelation as a great Christmas present! :bassist:

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Keeaumoku, looking forward hearing your thoughts on the NV425... ;)

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've just been at a soundcheck, I had the Db750 and NV215 with me, and the sound was just freaking awesome as always...just for the fun, I tried using my sadowsky pre-amp with the power amp of the DB750...the sound was really great, more hi-fi and a bit more tight....though I couldn't get that much volume...I ran my Jazz into the sadowsky and the "out" from the pre-amp into the power amp in on the db750....is this because the sadowsky pre-amp just isn't made to feed a power amp or is there any fancy trick, so I can use this as a 2nd choice in some situations where I need a more clean sound...

5. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    jacove, how about sending it in the effects loop instead, setting it for footswitch level, and adjust the strength of the return signal. Might that help?

6. That will work but the tone section of the 750 is still in line...the Sadowsky only outputs at intrument level, not line level. It will drive some amps that accept lower input levels but it won't drive the 750 to very high levels (I have tried the same thing.... :D ) The efx loop or running it in front of the amp are really the only choices unless you use a line driver behind the Sadowsky and then go directly into the power amp in on the 750. I have not tried it that way but it should work fine once you increase the gain going to the amp! Good Luck!

Peace,

T

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    OK, thanks guys....It got me thinking how great it would be if Roger made a 1 unit pre-amp... ;)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021