Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 750 Test Drive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 5, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Today i happened upon a db 750 at G Guitars here in New Haven Ct - after playing it i had to run home and grab my rig to compare it
    both were played thru an aguilar 410
    my rig is an alembic f1-x and sf-2 thru a stewart 2.1 power amp
    the units were compared in the usual a/b fashion, additionally i plugged the alembic into the poweramp in of the aguilar 750 as well as plugging an aguilar db 659 into the 750's poweramp in
    In a nutshell the 750 sounds fantastic -it sounded every bit as loud as my stewart (although i didnt go to speaker breaking levels). This was despite the aguilar being rated at about 450 watts into 8 ohms vs my stewart being bridged mono (1400 watts into 8 ohms). The stewart is rated at 400 watts or so into 8 ohms per side but it didnt compare when i ran one side by itself vs the aguilar.
    Tone wise i still prefer the alembic's clarity, the aguilar is definitely a bit "woolier" but can get a good level of clarity with treble and mid boost. At this level of construction it's more akin to what flavor ice cream you prefer rather than one or the other being "better"
    The 659 has 2 tubes, the 750 has 4 even though the interface is the same. one of the 750's tubes is apparently for the di out. Comparing the sound of the 750's preamp with the 659 was subtle, but the 750 definitely has the edge tone wise.
    Not being a rich man, i didnt buy the DB 750, (i would have had to trade my stuff in). but if i was a bit more affluent i wouldnt have been able to resist it. If i didnt already own my current rig the choice would have been a no brainer. The 750 sounds great, is as loud of an amp as you'll find, and at 46 lbs and 3 rack spaces it's not all that bulky. It sounds heavy, but trust me, you have to compare this head to full on rack setups which are right in that weight class, even if you use a stewart or plx. It's not even fair to compare the 750 to other heads - it's that good.

FYI, no i don't work for aguilar or g guitars. The amp is that good.

2. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    They are really nice. I played one down at Guitar-X a while back through a Berg 322 and was bery impressed. Edpecially since I had played a DB359 about a year before that through 2 Aggie 112 cabs and was completely underwhelmed.

The 750 is a way way better sounding amp.

It made me change my mind about Aguilar.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ivanmike, do you feel like the DB750 has more tube warmth than the DB659. I'm hoping that it's in-between the DB659 and Alembic in terms of Tube Warmth. THE 659 does indeed sound wooly sometimes. Thanks for the review Ivanmike.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Good review. The 750 does sound nice!

5. As an owner of a DB750 and Stewart 2.1, I was also surprised at how much power the 750 had. Hard to believe you'd ever need more power. (I deal with two Marshall Half stacks and a drummer named Hammer).
    As for comparing the 359 tone I can't help you there. It's certainly different than the DB 680 which IMHO is the king.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    When I first tried the Aguilar DB750 I felt the same way you did, but to my ears the Hughes and Kettner BaseBass series does everything the AG does and more. The tone is much more refined and versatile. It can go from Glockenklang clarity to Aguilar warmth at the turn of a knob. It also has gobs of headroom.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I don't really think it's a question of "warmth" which is an elusive and subjective term
    sonically the 750 head's preamp section sounds pretty close to the 659, maybe a little "nicer" but it's not a huge jump in the direction of the alembic
    as far as preamps go, the ones that i've demo'd in the same place range from brightness to a more darker sound like so: swr/demeter(either one)/alembic/eden/aguilar 659
    i've used tons more, but not in the same place so i cant comment with absolute certainty (check out www.basstasters.com)
    the 680 definitely seems to be on the brighter side but i have yet to a/b it with the 659 for myself

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the hk sounds like a nice head - i havent tried it
    still i think it's probably an "ice cream" issue. all the flavors are good, you just have to choose one. I still prefer my alembic rig, but it was hard to leave the store without the DB 750

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    There must be a reason why they make different flavors. I am of the opposite opinion while respecting all those who love the 750. I think the DB359 has a much better tone. It probably depends on the tone you go for. I played through a DB750/bergie HT322 and found it way too warm, wooly, mid rangey. The DB750 didn't have enough of the modern / Hi-fi clarity tone I crave. Then again, that is probably not its intended market.

That said; I would take a DB680 Pre/Power Amp combo in a heartbeat if I had the bread.

YMMV - Gary

10. Personally, I never found the 'right' sound/tone with any of the Aguillar products, including their onboard pre's...I owned the DB 750 for a couple of months and just had a little difficulty with its 'signature' tone. It's like you KNOW you're plugged into a DB 750. And you either like it or you don't. (As a side note...I think it eeks out a bit more in the wattage dept. than 750 watts...please...more like 1750!) Well...as it turned out, I needed to dump some rather high-endy and large gear and was in the market for another preamp. And to make a long story short, despite my objections to even try it out, I was coaxed into auditioning and now own the DB 680. And let me tell ya, this one's in a class by itself. IMO, it does not have a 'signature' tone. Enough said.

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to agree to a point - the stellar part of the 750 is the power section. too bad they don't offer the poweramp section of it as a mono poweramp only unit. that would be really nice paired with a db-680