1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar DB 751 vs. Mesa M9 comparison ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Has anybody compared these two heads ? I'm trying to get an idea of how they'd compare and contrast with a 4 ohm load for a clean, warm and deep tone.

2. Very, very different. First, the DB750/1 is really a boat anchor... super heavy, three rack spaces.

M9... super deep bass extension... massive low end and IMO enough sub bass that an external hi pass filter is almost needed with some cabs. Very little 'tube complexity' in the midrange... very solid state sounding. Very bright and aggressive up top (which can be controlled with the graphic pretty well. Probably the highest output head out there, regardless of wattage. Reliability VERY spotty (lots of shutdown issues... so careful buying used, but they seem to have it fixed, and service and support are very good).

DB751.... louder than most would ever need, more controlled low end (not as deep, even with the low boost engaged), nice midrange complexity, relaxed up top. Really different. Limited EQ power (although better than the DB750)... can be a bit picky with cabs due to that. Nice warm, tube complex midrange. Very good service and support.

Fat low end, warm mids, relaxed top end.... DB751 is very nice. Aggressive grindy top end with massive low end kick, hard to beat the M9.

If you are not playing auditoriums with no front of house support and/or don't need 2ohm operation and/or aren't driving two 410's or whatever, the Aguilar TH500 would make most DB751 users pretty happy, and the GK MBF800/MB800 would make most M9 users pretty happy at a fraction of the size, weight and cost.

These amps would IMO appeal to totally different players.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Owned both...had 2 M9's moved them both because I personally like reliability in an amplifier. I still have my Aguilar it's bullet proof.

In terms of tone they are opposite ends of the spectrum. M9 fast tight and bright as well as thick more modern sound as a whole with a touch of beautiful Mesa grit.

Huge powerful massive thump and round low end. A tad wooly but in a nice tube way. They are beautiful beasts but more close to a tube amp but without tube woes. With some outboard pedals I able to get my modern tones and I'll take over built and reliability every day of the week over an amp that needs updates and hits limiter stage and shuts off for 3 seconds. Just my experience..