1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB 810 Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichaelThomas, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    I'm in the market for a new cab set up. Looking to spend around $1,600 or so. I've played with a couple of touring bands that have this cabinet and I really like it, but damn it's expensive and holy crap it's heavy. On top of that I might be even getting a case for it :rollno:

Anyways from all the Aguilar owners out there, Is the cab worth all this price and pain? I've owned an Ampeg 810 before and I never really liked it. I was also thinking about two Emperor 610s or two GK 412s. I'm basically just trying to figure out the best bang for my buck I guess.

I play really big sounding Pop/Punk like New Found Glory, Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong etc. I'm open to any suggestions.

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    IMO, they sound great but I would get a Bergantino NV610. It's easier to move around, it's "only" 95lbs and to my ears, it sounds better than the DB series Aguilar cabs.

ronc10 likes this.
  3. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    For what your doing I say yes, go for it.

I have one and love it, but, it needs to be really wound up to get the full benefits out of it. I have a GS412 and I use it more often as it's lighter etc. but, for the big shows, there's no substitute for the DB810 IMHO.

IMG_1380.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    are you looking for something smoother sounding than the ampeg fridge? cause the db810 is punchy as a mother, and not exactly smooth. the gs412 would probably be better for a smoother and very different sound from the ampeg.

5. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    Yes I'm looking for punchy, I only really liked my Ampeg 810 when I ran an svt classic through it. I love those heads but I refuse to lug one around the road, they're just too delicate.

6. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    That's a beautiful collection btw. The 412 is tempting too, but I gotta admit, I LOVE that classic look on the 810. How hard is it to carry around? I don't have roadies :(

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The GS412 is so easy to move around that I don't think I'd ever take a DB810 over it...

8. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    they make a DB412 right? that'll get you the look you want

9. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    It's a flat out BITCH to LIFT man, there's no other way to say it.

185 pounds and feels every bit of it if you have to LIFT it.

It's well balanced and has good wheels and skid rails etc. I only take it to big shows where I know I can wind it up AND can get it in and out of the venue easily. The 412 is an amazing sounding cab and I take it out very often. What I use for any given gig totally comes back to "how motivated do I feel" ;) and realistically there's no bad decision in using either.

It's nice to have options :cool:

If you like the look of that cab maybe look at the DB412?

10. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    crap I just played an ampeg 810 and liked it lol

I'm such an indecisive tone whore

11. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    HAhahahahahahaha.

My Ampeg 810 is wonderful, I love it.

Check out the Mesa 810. I'd rather have one of those than the Ampeg.

12. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    How much are those?

13. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    of course you'd rather have the cab that you don't own, doesn't it always go that way?
    when you do have the cab you want, you want more of them. i am always amazed (and jealous) at tber's pics of multiple 8x10s.

for the record, i just got my 1st ampeg 810 and i love it!

14. Are you sure??? I have a SVT-VR head (US made), and it has really been bulet proof... Plus, it delivers what no other amp can deliver: THE SVT TONE.

15. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    Never tried the VR version of the SVT classic, I'm sure it sounds awesome. I'm just scared I'm gonna drop them sometimes lol. I'm pretty sure that head weighs more than my girlfriend actually.

Idk I'm gonna be playing through another SVT/ 810 rig tonight that I'm borrowing, maybe it'll re-kindle my Ampeg love.

I know the Ampeg 810 can be punchy but Really I think the one thing that's keeping me away from that Aguilar is the price, it's just ridiculous man.

16. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    Auggy GS 412 just get the job done boy's. It light for being a 4-12 cab. It handels great when U got load in & out. I handle by myself at 51.

The sound is just right for me.

Cheers :D

17. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'm wanting to say about $1,500, I've never actually gotten a price but I seem to remember someone telling me that price.

Its definitely a contender with the Aggie, and I think I'd rather get a Mesa, even though I don't know why. :D

18. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    BTW, the DB and GS series cabs sound different, if I recall correctly.

And I mean a good bit different.

19. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    The search is over...gonna be the GS412...that thing was orgasmic. It handles the big shows just fine lol I mean, it filled up the house of blues in orlando the other night.

I'm also gravitating more towards 12s, I think a lot of guys have been doing the same lately

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Seeing you cite FYS as an influence was a really weird moment for me, I remember seeing them when I was (and they were too I think) in high school.

Back on track - Good luck with the GS412, I love the sound of those cabs. I've always like 10's best on bass, but something about Aggie 12's really does it for me.