Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB 924 vs. Sansamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew T., Dec 23, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I want a pre-amp/DI for around $200 and have heard good things about these units. I looked at the J-Retro STMP-01 but am hesitant to shell out another C note for a mid control (seems like it would be handy, though). Whaddaya think?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Both Smash and myself have started / contributed to a number of threads with regards to these units and others (MXR, Fodera) here and in the effects forums.

If you want the mid control, and DI, then the MXR M-80 is your best bet. EBS have just come out with a new stompbox preamp/DI box, but it's not available in the US yet.

To my ears the DB924 has the more musical eq boosts. But if you need the mid and/or need a DI then you should seriously consider the MXR.

3. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Thanks for the info. I have done searches on the Sansamp before but wanted to narrow the field a bit.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I just got the M-80 today, from Musicans Friend.

My impressions:

It's too noisy.

It gives a muffled tone to some mid range frequencies I'm rather fond of.

The distortion channel is useless unless you're covering that song Ozzie did with Primus.

At this point, I'll be sending Musicians Friend the M-80 and some more $$ for the DB-924.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i really like the Sansamp. very versatile, and literally bulletproof. also customer support is pretty darn good.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hey Matthew,
    sorry you didn't like it.
    If it's not for you, that's cool. But I just wanted to make sure you didn't have the 'color' switch on, as that engages the EQ scoop which cuts out lots of mids. Also, the second channel always applies the EQ scoop whether there's any distortion or not.
    I don't like the distortion on it, but I use it live as a two channel EQ & DI. I have channel 1 set up with some standard eq, then step on channel 2 (with 0 distortion volume) to get a slap friendly EQ.

7. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I too, debated between the SansAmp and Aguilar units, but went with the SansAmp so I could get a teensey bit of overdrive if/when needed. It sounds great clean too (when the drive control is turned down); adds a nice presence to the straight clean sound (the blend control is your very best friend btw.)

Also, it performs perfectly well as a preamp for my amp rig (bypassing the head's preamp and going in through the effects return. Some people have remarked that the SansAmp may not have enough juice for some power amps, but in my case all seems well.)

8. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    After using the M-80 in church this morning, I'm reconsidering my initial impressions.

The slight amount of hiss the unit produces doesn't really amount to much in a live situation.

The muffled mids aren't so apparent through a full sound system as they are through my combo amp.

The distortion controls are still a waste of space.

Actually, I was able to get a nice punchy bark with my channel set flat at the board and the M80's bass, mid, and treble at 2 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 3 o'clock, respectively.