1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB cab question - Tolex related!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Franz Jr., Mar 31, 2009.

1. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Here is my question. How durable is the tolex on the DB series cabs (monster green, chocolate thunder etc..)

I am thinking of a DB series stack in Monster Green or White Hot. Now I know the White Hot would be tough to keep clean, but it is so damn sexy!! I am a weekend warrior so they would not be on the move that much!

Who has one of these cabs????

Thoughts?? Opinions?? Want me to go away??:ninja::D

2. Well... I can tell you that tweed gets the thumbs up.

What kind of cab are you after? I can say for sure that if you are going to go for DB112's DON'T GET WHITE. Remember- these things have 1 handle and you need to put them down on their sides to open doors etc.. They will get dirty and there's nothing you can do about it. Darker colours, even tweed, is fine but white? No way- not unless you plan on keeping a sponge and spray cleaner in your gig bag. ;)

3. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am thinking a DB 212 or 410. I actually have a road case that will fit either!! :bassist:

4. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    My own experience with the Classis Black tolex on my DB series cabs is that they are very durable (for tolex). My guess is that the other colors with the bumpy texture would be similar in durability as far as resisting rips, tears, and abrasions (green and white). The tweed is an unknown to me...maybe someone who owns the tweed can chime in. The most fragile is the chocolate thunder, based on phone conversations I've had with a fellow TBer who owns two DB cabs in that color. :)

P.S. Am I correct in guessing that the new white tolex is a bumpy texture?

M. M.

5. Addlepate

Addlepate Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Very true. I just got my first DB112 last week. The handle is on the side, so it is natural to set it down on the side opposite the handle - not the bottom of the cab where the rubber feet are. It feels a little awkward to set the cab down, even temporarily, on the metal corners and tolex. I am glad that the handle is on the side though, because it makes my GB Shuttle sit so nicely on top (no top handle issues).

It sounds amazing by the way. Deep and punchy. Pretty old school overall, which I love. It doesn't have glassy highs, even with the tweeter cranked. Not a "hi-fi" sounding cab.

6. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    My Chocolate Thunder DB112 proved to be less than rugged. I knicked it with my amp going up and it tore pretty easy. I'm not too worried about it, I just know I have to be really careful with them.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    re: DB112. Should be a small matter to install matching rubber feet on the side opposite the handle. That's likely the first thing I'd do if I got one.

8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I hate Tolex.. it scars so easily.
    I sold two of my 4 GS112s and got 2 DB112s..
    I am thinking of pulling the metal corners and putting the plastic stacking cormers like the GS has on the DB as well as having some metal grills made for the DB.. I dont think that grill cloth offers enough protection.. yeah it looks nice. but metal grill like the GS has are more protective when a monkey like me has to toss them in a hurry to get into a gig

9. Addlepate

Addlepate Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Good idea! I think I may try this.

10. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have two tweed DB112s, and they have a couple of nick/dents in them from bumping into things. It doesn't seem to tear too easily, but it's kind of soft if you bump into a sharp corner.

I might put the side feet on too, that's a good idea.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As long as you get the nice padded covers, it's not an issue. However, given the tolex and the cloth grill cover (old school!), you need those covers to keep them looking new.

12. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I agree with KJung (mostly because i bought the stuff from him that he's talking about). The covers to an amazing job of keeping the gear from harm, they are nicely padded and if you're going to put it in a road case you should be fine. I have the Monster Green and it looks awesome!