1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar DB Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KeithBMI, May 29, 2007.

1. I found a couple of threads dealing with them... but I'd like some final opinions.

I have a SVT-410HLF (Ported 4x10) and it has too much of a loose bottom end for me. :eek: :D

I was looking for something "tighter" or "punchier" such the SVT-410HE (Non-ported 4x10) and I came upon the Aguilar DB series. Their cabs boast a higher sensitivity and are aimed at a vintage market... something I am all for! :smug:

What are your opinions on these cabs?

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played numerous Ampeg cabs and heads over the years. I'm not to fond of them. I do love Aguilar gear to death. I've owned every series of Aguilar cabs, including those Db410s you're thinking of.

They will bow your Ampeg cab to the curve, trust me. Do keep in mind that they're designed to be suuuper mid-punchy with a vintage vibe. It wont do a "hi-fi" and clean-as-a-wistle sound. I will do powerful in-your-face punch and growl till there's no tomorrow.

They serve me very well for my tastes, but a lot of people dont like them or prefer the GS-series cabs from Aguilar.

If you can, go to a music store and try them out. They're defeinately punchier and tighter than your Ampeg 410.

3. Thank you. That sounds great!

Does anyone else have an opinion? :smug:

4. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I think the GS series are better. but thats just my taste.

5. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Can you turn off the tweeter on the DB cabs?

6. Yes.

7. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks. Sometimes those "Variable Controls" don't have an off position.

8. Really? Well in that case I don't know for sure. :meh: ;)

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes you can. I has a dial wich you can turn to your taste. Not a on/off thing.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I love the Aggie DB cabs. I've got a couple of GS-112's but I am going to get either a DB-112, DB-210, or a DB-410...I haven't decided yet.

Go and try on out if you can, I think you'll be quite pleased with the results.

11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Bought a DB410 to replace my SVT810E for the exact reason you listed: floppy low end. I play mostly fretless and usually boost my mids so I figured the DB410 was right up my alley.
    All of my bandmates agree that it blows the Ampeg out of the water. The low end is a lot tighter and the mid hump works wonders with the fretless and coaxing that mwah out of it.
    It gets fairly loud for a 410 too.
    Who knew the DB750 and DB410 worked so well together ? ;)

12. Cool. :D

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I did!!!:D

14. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Afroman's review is spot on with my assesment.

Having played the GS Series for so long I have an affinity for them.
    I like the DB410, I love the GS410.
    The DB410 is tight, punchy and hits hard. It's anything but loose...

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The DB410 is the tightest, mid-punchiest 4x10 I've ever heard. Too much so for my taste. I think you're on the right track deciding between and 410E/810E and a DB410 or 810. The DB should have more bottom end since it is a ported cab.

The bergantino NV610 is also supposed to be a punch monster.

16. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Is there a big difference between 2xDB210's and a DB410? I hate the idea of having a 90+ lbs cab.

17. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would think it wouldn't be much different. You would have great versatility and portablity with a pair of 210s.

18. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I am also interested in the Aguilar DB or GS series 112 cabs to go with my Ashdown EVO500 and P-bass and was going to start a topic too but I can shed some light on the Ampeg cab you are considering...

I owned the 410hlf, experienced the same low-end floopiness, replaced it with an 410he, then then replaced that with a 112he/115he setup. IMO the 410he just does not cut it at all on its own, I played lots of shows, even toured with this cab and was never happy with it. It just generally has a very weak sound, lacks low-end, the highs sound a little brittle, and its too heavy for what you are getting. It's just not very pleasing overall to listen to you as a standalone you could say. I heard a bassist at a show last night playing through a svt3pro/410he and was reminded of just how glad I was to get rid of that cab, my current 112/115he set-up really kills it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021