1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar DB112 & Epifani PS112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 19, 2009.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Dear all, I am really interested in comments from people who have had the chance to make a direct comparison A/B test between the two 1x12" cabinets.
    I own a Epifani PS112 and I am really happy, but would like to understand how the Aguilar DB112 compare since I love the look of the Aguilar in tweed while I find the Epifani not attractive at all.
    I play classic instrumental surf music with some rockabilly, rock'n roll songs and play only with fingers and pick, never slap. I always keep the tweeter at minimum and I aim at a punchy and full sound with accent on low mids. I am not an hi-fi guy at all. I hate mid shy cabinets.
    I bought the Epifani PS112 for this reason, usually I am not a great fan of Epifani but this performance serie is really good and with a classic voicing. From Aguilar website it seems that also DB series is intented this way.
    Comments?

2. :meh: You're kidding about the look right? :rollno:

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Absolutely Sir. Look is for me as important as sound.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    while many here like the db112's very aggressive sound, i personally think its not nearly as musical as its gs112 cousin, and especially compared to the epifani ps112.

the db's just too middy, thick in the mids for my sound, and sorta makes all my basses, passive or active, all sound the same. the ps112 is clearer in the middle range, which lets your sound breath a bit more, but at the same time, has a great lower mid to lower end push that really projects and kicks your sound out from the band.

i also love the gs112 as well, and its similarly voiced to the ps112. but the gs112 sounds a touch smaller, and not nearly as big as the ps112, which still surprises as being a very underappreciated cab 'round this forum.

but yea, gotta agree, the db's design aesthetic is pretty terrific.