Aguilar DB112 vs SL112 Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Ciaramella, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Nick Ciaramella

Nick Ciaramella

Sep 16, 2014
    So, I just played my first gig with my new Aguilar rig last weekend. I picked up a TH500 and 2 x DB112's to replace my old GK rig. I'm absolutely crazy about the tone I'm getting however I could use just a bit more clean headroom. Using a bass with active pickups, eq set flat I'm forced to use the -10dB pad and can only get the gain knob to about 10 o'clock before I start getting some overdrive. I basically had the volume dimed the whole night and it was loud enough, but barely. Has anyone AB'd the DB112's with the SL112's and can comment on their volume differences? I'm wondering if the higher sensitivity of the SL cabs (99.9 dB @ 1W 1m vs 95dB @1W 1m for the DB cabs) will translate into more perceived volume. Do the SL cabs lose anything in the midrange department compared to the DB cabs?

Attached Files:

2. Where was the Drive control? What were your eq settings? The TH500 isn't a simple plug and play head and the Gain, Drive and Volume controls and EQ work together for some very unique tones. I've never found it lacking in volume at all through 2 12s at 4 ohms. I recommend going through some the tone setting guides for the TH in here and spending some time working with the controls to get your favorite settings.

3. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    I play/gig with one of each. I can´t hear any difference volume wise on stage since the db cab project more mids. The SL is more neutral sounding, between GS and DB series. I have a EBS Reidmar 750 right now and have had both the TH 500 and 350 but found them too wolly for my taste, like throwing a blanket over the speakers.

HMZ likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021