Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar db359 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Jul 30, 2003.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

I've just bought a used Aguilar db359 head and it sounds very rich and full, no complaints there, but I've noticed a large amount of hiss/noise when turning up the power amp, I can't go further than 1 o'clock before the noise gets very annoying, the noise is still the same if I turn down the gain, never have I experienced this with any other high end tube bass amps. Do you Aguilar heads think that it can be a tube failure or is it normal for the db359. I'm running it through an Ampeg 410hlf cab.

Cheers!

Jacob

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    My 359 is pretty damn quiet, but can get pretty noisy if i get close with unshielded pickups. My 728 had some noise issues, but new tubes cleared that right up... maybe you should try it, if you have the means...

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I'm running a sadowsky with hum-cancelling, so I don't think the pickups are the cause, also when I take the plug out and turn down the gain past 1'oclock the noise is still when turning up the master. Shouldn't it be dead quit if the pre-amp is turned down???

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    sorry, I meant when i turn down the gain completely and the master past 1 o'clock

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i know you mentioned the pickups, but just in case...

how much treble are you goosing on the Sadowsky? on my PJ, i can dial in LOTS of trebs, which can become somewhat hissie. try turning down your tone controls to zero/flat, and see if that does anything first.

also, could be the cab. try turning down the tweeter. maybe you have it at full open.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    well, i have even tried with no instrument plugged in at all and also running the sadowsky flat and it still makes plenty hum. Funny because I never had these problem with mesa or ampeg tube heads. I'm still curious to know if it is normal that an amp can make plenty hum if the gain is turned all the way down, shouldn't it be dead quit then, regardless of how the master volume is set?

7. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned one for about 3 months and it was in the shop half of the time. Power tube failure. Good luck. The customer service at Aguilar was very good but I decided to sell mine after it was fixed.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've had my aggie gear for years now and never had any trouble - and aguilar customer service has been nothing but stellar, Geoff was truly the most helpful tech guy i've ever talked to.

9. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Seems to me you could have a bad tube. But......who knows? Since you bought it used, ya never knows....
    I bought a beautiful Byrston Power Amp once. Like new! Only thing was that the guy had splilled a coke in it.
    It worked anyway; but some weird stuff was happening.
    I had it sent to the factory, they cleaned one of the boards, and presto!

Anyway, a long way of saying, why not e-mail Aguilar's tech guy?

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    thanks for all the response guys, I've mailed Geoff from Aguilar and he believes that it is the pre-amp tubes...I'll try with some new tubes and let you know how it goes..cheers!

11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    In reguard to my Aguilar post. I loved the tone of the DB 359 although it didn't have quiet enough headroom for me. The customer service at Aguilar was top notch. Geoff was great to deal with and they fixed the amp. I want to give Aguilar credit for backing up their product. I needed a more powerful set-up and I now have a seperate power-amp with a pre-amp and I have no regrets with it.

12. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Tried with new pre-amp tubes and some of the noise went away, but it is still noisy when cranked up past 12 o'clock compared to other high-end tube amps (Ampeg, Mesa). Geof at Aguilar said that it can have something to do with the gain structure. I really like the tone of this amp, but I guess that it just isn't designed to be played at loud levels. I think I'll try the 680/728 rig, It might be more what i'm looking for. thanks again for your response....Jacob

13. My DB is very quiet.............. :rolleyes:
    I run the gain at 12 o'clock & the master at 2 o'clock.
    The deep boost on & the bass control at 1 o'clock. :eyebrow:
    I have an RCA 5751, sovtek 12ax7LPS, & Phillips 5814 (12au7 )
    in the preamp....... ;) .......very nice !

JJ

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    geez louise jammin',

diggin' up all these old threads. how far back did you surf? :eyebrow:

but just in case to Jacove, and anyone else that may have a similar problem, have you tried the DB359 with another cab? again, after many many years with mine, its still as quiet as a mouse.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Would that be the proverbial mouse that roared? ;):bassist: