Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB359 thoughts and opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I would like everyones thoughts and opinions on this head. Is it loud enough? Is it comparable to a SWR SM-900 in power? Is the tone good with enough power to still be clean? Is it solidly built? :)

2. When I was shopping for a tube head just recently, I gave the db359 a look. I think the design is outstanding and you would be hard pressed to find a better 200 watt tube amp made anywhere. It is, however, too pricey for me.

3. I absolutely love the head. Well constructed, great sound, just A++ around the board. But...No way would i spend that kind of money on that. I am lucky on the deal i got on my DB750, and prices were also way lower back when i got it not too long ago.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I recently spent some time, in a store, with a used one. I thought that it sounded great to me. I liked the tone much better with this head than the the preamp (DB659). I know that they should be close to the same tone but for some reason I just couldn't get into the 659.

But I've been told by several folks here on TB that it just isn't loud enough. I'd think that it would be at least loud enough for a small band that isn't running Marshall's for Fender Twins. But I really like to know that I have enough headroom, myself.

They are very heavy but the prices seem to be decent on the used market.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own one. I was trying to sell it to offset the price on the woods I got because I needed small loud and good for double bass too. I couldnt get a desent price for it so I've desided to keep it.

Its not that loud so to compenstate Ive been trying to pair it with 2 aguilar 112's ( pair at 105 db) I own one now and I will get the other soon . I know its not gonna be the tone for alot of situations (too dark muddy not enough mids to cut) but for alot of blues gigs I do it will be perfect.

I think matching it with a eden 410 xlt might be nice combo clearer,louder.

It sounds great,THICK! Old school;)

AJ

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What were the conditions for hearing the DB659, Jerry? Just curious about how it was set up.

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's been several years so I'm a bit foggy on the details.

I was at Larry Morgan's in Garland, TX. I put the DB659 into a Bergantino 3x10(an all-time favorite cab) and fiddled with the EQ. Then I plugged into an Alembic F-1X and I just thought that the Alembic was fatter and deeper. Maybe it was that the Alembic was more tubey sounding to my ears. I felt the Aguilar was just not my cup of tea.

I did get to spend most of the time on my own. So I really got to run both preamps through their paces without any intervention. And I did A/B back and forth.

I don't recall what power amp was being used but it wouldn't have been my choice for a power amp. Also, I was playing a Modulus (model unknown) which just isn't my kind of bass, either.

As it turned out, I did eventually buy an F-1X, which I'm still very happy with. I have heard the DB680, which I thought was heavenly. I didn't get to play through it but the guy that owned it was playing a Fodera VW Monarch. Pure Heaven!

8. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have tried this head, and as noted by others there was not enough power for me. I ended up buying a DB 750. Tone wise the DB 359 is very similar to the DB 750, but the DB 750 will give you more than enough power. With the high price of the DB 359, I think you will be just as happy with a DB 750.

9. I just purchased a DB359 for a blues band I am working with. I need to power down from my SVT4Pro. I hope, after reading this thread, that I have not powered down too much. Should find out soon. Probably be delivered next week.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, what Josh said...I'd really appreciate hearing what you find out when play with your band, please.

11. I certainly will let you all know how it goes.

12. i have had the 359 and i currently have the 659 with a Carver power amp. I LOVED the 359s tone but i had too much cabinet (2x15 and 2x12) for it to push. when i used it with the 2x12 it was heaven. The good thing about the 359 is it has the ability to go 2,4,or 8 ohms which opens the possibilities very widely. If I had my choice I would still have it, but I gig way too much and over a lot of land and with people who didnt really care to take the proper care of a amp that had 4 6550 tubes in it.

13. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I concur with what most say about the 359. It sounds great! For what I push it seems to be a perfect match and it has plenty of headroom. I've never needed to turn the volume and/or gain past 12 o’clock (half way) . Keep in mind that I use efficient cabs; a 210 and a 112, both with a 103 sensitivity. The only drawback to this amp is its weight. If you want all tubes then that’s the price you pay.

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi Andy

What kind of cabs are you runnig it through?

AJ

15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Andrew, by looking at AndyGL's profile I would assume it the Eden D210xlt and the 112 EA. ;)

Andy, what kind of bands are you playing in. Are they loud?

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Doh, I guess that would make sence. I was wondering about the EA cab. Im worried about clarity and volume. What the DB/watts rule double the watts for every 3 db is that right? So Andy would be running ALot less on his 359 for the same volume as 2 agg112's?(105 vrs 106).or is it splitting hairs at that point.

AJ

17. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    That’s right, an Eden 210xlt and an EAcxl-112. Both very efficient and sound great with the 359 individually or used together. I play Rock and R&B primarily, and a little Reggae too. I guess loud is a relative term but I consider it loud and so does the crowd…but not ear bleeding. From what I've learned on Talk Bass is that using 200 watts with a cab rated at 103db sensitivity is equivalent to 400 watts at 100db sensitivity. Couple that with the fact that the 359 is a tube amp an does not clip abruptly might explain why this amp works for me as well as it does.

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Andy how much did you get yours for?

19. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    AJ…

The EA is a very articulate cab with a great transient response. The Eden has a warm and deep bottom. Two very different cabs. Coupled together they compliment each other very well. Each one seems to make up where they other leaves off. Because they’re both rated at 103 db sensitivity they are in fact very balanced volume wise when used together. The 359 preamp is very flexible and is easy to adjust when compensating for the individual character of each cab when each cab is used alone. When used together I run the amp almost flat.

20. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    BG…

I got mine last February for $1200 with free shipping and no tax…Unfortunately this might be one reason Riks lost their dealership a few weeks later.

Sorry...

A