aguilar db359 volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-strung, Sep 3, 2010.

1. b-strung

b-strung

Feb 18, 2010
    LA
    Not too much info out there. I have heard that they are not a loud amp for being 200 tube watts. I play a SVT 2Pro now, and don't have to crank it with my band. I guess most venues I play mic/DI so I am not relying on stage volume that much.

Thoughts?

Buckle.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Volume is a product of speakers, more than anything.With an efficient, large bass cab, that amp should kill.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've always been intrigued with the DB359 ever since before Aguilar discontinued it. Man, the thing sounds incredible! http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/Aguilar_DB359.html

With tone like that, I'd try and get some monitor reinforcement if it wasn't keeping up on stage.

4. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    They are a good, loud 200 "tube-watts" if such a thing exists.

Stock, they will only drive a 8 or 4 Ohm load. Your SVT2PRO will drive a 2 Ohm load, and 300 Watts at 2 Ohms is no BS. I have heard tell that they can me modded to drive a 2 Ohm load, but I have no proof to back it up.

So, ignoring a 2 Ohm load for the sake of argument:

The DB359 (pushing a 4 Ohm load)...

...is louder than a GK200RB
    ...is about as loud as a GK800RB
    ...is barely not quite as loud as a Reeves Custom 225
    ...is nowhere near as loud as an SVT @ 4 ohms.

That's been my experience.

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I don't understand.

200w from the same amp, how would a 2/4/8 ohm load make any difference to the SPL?

6. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    At 4 ohms, you can push two 15" speakers (or one SVT 8x10).

At 2 ohms, you could push four 15" speakers (or two SVT 8x10s).

More speakers means you can drive each individual speaker less, but you're moving more air around. The perceived effect would seem louder.

Some amps claim to be the same wattage across all impedances, some amps claim to "increase" wattage rating at lower impedances.

Like this Mesa BB750...

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/bigblock/bigblock.htm (right column, halfway down)

I don't know how much of this is BS, how much is marketing, how much is real vs. perceived effect.

But four 15" drivers sure seems louder than two 15" drivers.

basspro557 likes this.
  7. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    In all fairness the Mesa BB750 that you cite is a solid state amp; whereas a tube amps' transformer is going to match the speaker impedance.

A SS Amp can drive a single 4 ohm cab more easily then it can a single 8 ohm cab; but a tube amp would do about the same with each of them.

8. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Through my Schroeder 1212BMF my heads fall right where they should.

aguilar is louder than sunn 2000 is louder than v4b... but none louder than the svt.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

A tube amp that can go down to 2 ohms is going to be more versatile than one than can only go down to 4 ohms, but all things equal, there shouldn't be much of an output difference if both amps are pushing the same 4 ohm cab.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Although I love my 359... I've owned 2, it's not the loudest tube amp out there compared to other 200 watt tube amps (like the Orange AD200). It can get grindy and have a nice overdrive tone at high volumes. You can get decent volumes for gigging. Volume wise for tube amps I would rate them as follows (top clean volume)

1. Aguilar DB 728 (you pick the pre)
    2. Mesa 400+
    3. Ampeg SVT
    4. Peavey Classic 400
    5. Orange AD200 (breaks up really nice, maybe it should be lower because of its tone??)
    6. Demeter VT300??
    7. Sadowsky
    8. Aguilar db359
    9. Ampeg V4

Tonally, the sadowsky and aguilar 359 are awesome and if I had to have one amp it would be one of these for clean tone and detail. The demeter power amp is exceptionally smooth.

There are others like Reeves, Marshall (VB400), Eden, Peavey and trace elliot I have not had either any experience or enough to make a comment

11. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Speaker drivers comes in different impedance.
    You can have 36x 15" drivers wired to be 8 ohm ... :meh:
    So how many speaker the amp can drive has nothing to do with the whether the amp is running at 2/4/8 ohm.

And both the DB359 and SVT2Pro are tube amp so this:

What else am I missing?

12. fu22ba55

Apr 16, 2009
    True dat.

But I'm talking about everyday cabs you're going to run across.

90% of 1x15 cabs on the market are 8 ohm cabs
    99% of all 8x10 cabs on the market are 4 ohms

If the Aggie had a 2 Ohm tap by defualt, it would be easier to grab whatever cabs you could and push them all.

200 Watts is 200 Watts is 200 Watts.

13. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Got ya, I see what you mean now.

I was rather focused/fixated on my fascination of how a much older tech (tube and output transformer) can match impedance and produce the same power, much easier than the majority of SS amp where the power level depends on the impedance.

That's probably why I totally missed the point.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    I know the obvious answer is sales, but it sure bums me out that Aguilar has discontinued such cool products as the DB359 and DB659. Ever since my visit to Sadowsky and playing through that SA200 head, I've been jonesing for some tubey goodness. My issue is weight, I have a bad neck that will not allow for an SVT. To be quite honest, the DB750 seems like more amp then I need. I'm thinking a DB359 would be perfect.

15. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    From memory on the specs, the 359 is actually heavier than the 750.

16. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    I had a db359 for a year. Great low volume tone. But I ended up always bringing my LMIII due to the fact the db359 is so ackward to move. Heavy too! I have a 71 SVT which just ate the 359 for lunch when it comes to richness and heft to the notes. The Db359 does not break up in a favorably way when pushed to the limit. Abit of smooth tube grind is possible but past that ugly things happen! I was disappointed because it is built so well! I'm thinking about a db750 these days? Anyone compare the DB750 to the 359?

17. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Haven't compared the DB750 to the DB359 but I can attest that the DB750/751 amp sounds very tube like even though it is a hybrid. You won't care once you try it out. And it will do 950 watts at 2 ohms no problem!

18. One of my least favorite amps ever. VERY heavy, VERY large (only two rack spaces, but over 20" depth I believe:eek: Beautiful sound at very low volume, but quickly breaks up, and it isn't a glorious, SVT, grindy snarly break up IMO and IME...

I'd avoid this amp. It is NOTHING like the DB750 or AG500.

19. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    +1 to Ken's note, exact same experience as noted above with the DB359. For similiar money, maybe slightly more, but actually easier to carry even though heavier, IMO, get a vintage SVT. I have a LMIII as well and decided I'm set for years with these two heads, no more GAS at least when it comes to amps and cabs. For cabs I have the Berg AE410 and also an NV610.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The reason tube amps do this is because of the output transformer. A solid state amp with an output transformer (for example the Warwick Jonas Hellborg power amp) would put out the same power at any compatible impedance.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021