Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB659 and power amp or DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am trying to figure out which I should do. I would have less money and more power with the pre/power amp config, but I've never heard the 750. Does anyone see benefits to the 750 over the 659 and power amp? Also, taking into account that the pre/power amp are considerably sheaper than the 750 itself. These seem to have the same front end on both. Thanks, Marc

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I personally prefer the tone of the 750 to the 659 + poweramp, because the power section of the 750, even though solid state, seems to have a lot more aguilar fatness & tubey like goodness (IMHO of course) than the 659 with a run-of-the-mill pro-audio poweramp. the tone of the 750 seems ALMOST as good as the 680/728 combo, but just not as flexible or chewy in the mids. I absolutely love the 680/728, but sold my 659 so you can see how different these two animals are. of course, the cost is a lot higher with the 750, isn't it?

they are different enough to warrant a demo if that's feasible in your area...

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i too really like the DB750, but didnt like carrying it around for that pickup gig. felt more like a "forklift" gig.

i too am really digging my DB680, but i have it mated with a Peavey DPC1400x, and its hog heaven.

but at the new prices for the heads, pre's, and pa's, why would anyone bother with Aguilar?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I also feel that the DB750 is going ot give you a little "better" sound than the DB659 and Power amp setup.

I just picked up an Aguilar DB680 for a great price used(decided to change my rig a bit)! VERY low milage. This pre-amp is in a different league then the 659. I like the sound of this pre-amp going into a Power amp.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The DB750 is a GREAT sounding head, but with the recent price increase you can get a 1200 watt Walter Woods amp for the same money!!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    OK, I'll add a little balance to these one-sided recommendations: I use a DB659 with a Stewart World 1.6 quite often and it's a buttkicker! Very warm and plenty of tonal options. Nice, articulate top-end, too, if that's what you want. While a different sound than the 750, it may be the preferable sound for you! It was for me. If money is an issue, it is, of course, a no-brainer.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have the 659 paired with a QSC PLX2402. I tried the 750 when I was trying out heads & while there is a sound difference, you get so much more headroom with the seperate power amp.

In my opinion, you are getting more for the money.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Do you notice any problem driving the QSC to full power with your 659, jivetkr? I was very unsatisfied with my 659 running into a QSC 1602 because it didn't seem to drive the amp to full output. The Stewart 1.6, otoh, was gold. Just curious.

9. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I heard of people having that problem but I have not noticed it. The 2402 is a very powerful amp & I have not noticed any power issues. Then again, I am not pushing the amp.

Why would the preamp have trouble driving the power amp?

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Lower output. The output from the 659 appears to be noticeably less "hot" than other preamps I use. I agree that in your case, you won't have a problem because you've got power to spare. It was only a problem for me with much less wattage. As I said, the Stewart 1.6 (roughly the same wattage as the QSC 1602) is considerably louder with that preamp. I suspect that some preamp/power amp combinations are more synergistic (for lack of a better word) due to output requirements. QSC amps, in general, don't seem as loud to me for some reason when compared to Stewarts and Crowns when driven by the same preamps.

I kept the 1602, btw, and it's very content being driven by an Ampeg SVP Pro. Now there's a hot signal from a preamp! Whew.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yeah, this is related to the mod you can get for QSC.

I have the 659/1602 and it's plenty loud for the cabs I run. I would consider getting the mod if my needs changed.

Good old Bob from QSC knows the scoop.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    And why on earth would anyone ever bother with buying an amp NEW?? Used is the ONLY way to go. Just takes patience.

And Joker, as for the forklift, we all know that if the rig weighs more than my 80 yr old grandmother can pick up with one hand, you're not buyin it! You are the king of lightweight! (course those cabs & stairs might have SOMETHING to do with it) :)

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Captain....

What mod are you talking about? Can you tell me more about it?

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good point. My cabs are, for the most part, power hungry Bergantinos and Epifanis.

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hmmm...another opportunity to sing the praises of the DB750? Cool :cool: .

What are you going to pay for that DB659 plus power amp-to-be-named-later? Granted, I bought my DB750 when it was just a box and a half of ziti, not two and a third boxes of ziti as it is now. For you non-Sopranos geeks that's $1500 and $2300, respectively.

I just asked myself would I buy the DB750 today at the higher price, knowing what I do now about the sound...and at first I was pretending not to hear the question, and was trying to ignore myself, as I am far too important to bother answering silly questions from myself...and after losing the attitude I finally answered myself "yes, I would".

Yes, it's heavy. Yes, I wish it were lighter. A lot lighter. But the sound...I'd still buy it if it weighed twice as much.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    OMG!!

how did you know i was eigth...

sneaks off with his walker...

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None