Aguilar DB659 discontinued

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    According to the new Aguilar website, the DB659 preamp has been discontinued.

Are they working on a new preamp or are they going to leave the DB680 alone?

I'd love to see a dedicated solid state preamp.
  2. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    wow thats too bad for anyone looking for a quality single space tube pre-amp. I love my 659, I don't think I'll ever part with it.

looks like they'll leave the 680 alone (it is still listed as one of their current products)
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    It says they discontinued the DB728 and DB359 as well. Maybe they're focusing on the new solid state amps.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Poor guys.... I guess their stuff is just too damn expensive to be profitable.

Ah well.... There'll still be good Aguilar gear floating around the used markets for many years, I suppose.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Possibly, but Id imagine there is still a market. How do their prices compare to Eden, Bergantino, Thuderfunk etc?

They're all similar quality, similar products, and theyre doing great for themselves. (Or so it seems)

Maybe theyre just finding products that sell well and they like.
  6. We all know that the Aguilar gear sounds great, is well-designed and has the highest build-quality. Pure speculation on my part, but when you're catering to a fairly small market with high-end handbuilt gear you have to sell a fixed number of units every year to make any product viable. With the price pressures brought on by chinese builders and new lower-weight/lower-cost products cropping up all the time, a company has to adapt to survive and votes are made with dollars.

Personally I am the proud owner of a DB680, DB728 and DB750. I'm so happy that I was able to secure a DB728 before the inevitable happened. You can bet that no matter how well designed they are, big, heavy tube amps don't just fly off the store shelves. I don't envy how difficult it must be to balance the financial model, pay the salaries and still keep folks interested in your products. Sadly it appears that the DB659 is also one of those pieces that's fallen out of favour with the target audience along with the DB359, DB728 and DB900.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I suspect that the DB750 may be similarly-difficult to sustain over the next few years. At some point the market reaches saturation and we've seen the recent threads where folks are comparing and choosing the new lighter-weight Aggie models, despite the great sound, unbelievable headroom and massive power of this amazing amp. I've got my fingers crossed that the DB750 is sustainable for a few years yet.

A few years into the future we'll no doubt be seeing TB threads discussing these very pieces, calling them "legendary" and speaking with proper reverance. Thankfully Aguilar has the savvy to compete in what must be a difficult marketplace, so I'm certain they'll still be around.
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Did Aguilar start with cabs or amps?
  8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    preamps - he's the guy that designed the original Sadowsky preamp, isn't he?