1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB659 preamp vs Aguilar AGRO preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Clef, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Can anyone tell me if these 2 preamps sound the same. From what I can gather they share the same controls.

Is this correct ??

2. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not at all.
    The DB659 is a tubey warm preamp similar to the DB750 amp in sound. The AGRO is an overdrive/distortion box. It is not a "preamp" preamp. It's supposed to be used as an effect for distortion or overdriven sounds.

3. Thanks.

That was pretty straight forward!

Next question can you still buy the DB659 - and where ?

or should I be looking at the DB680 for more tonal options.

Does the DB659 sound like the DB680 or are they completely different?

4. BUMP - maybe someone might be able to answer some of my questions in my last post.

Thanks.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The 659 is wonderful and discontinued. They come up for sale used on occasion in the classifieds. I believe the 680 is also discontinued. It's quite different from the 659, not nearly as warm and fat, more 'studio tube clean' and a bit dry sounding to my ear.

6. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Both the DB659 and 680 are discontinnued. The 659 is more straight-foward simple warm tube preamp, 1 rack space. The 680 is super versatile, lots of EQ options and cleaner and 2 rack spaces high.

7. Thanks fellas.

does anyone know any dealers that might still have old stock of the DB659 or DB680?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i think bass specialties has a 659.

9. roonetoon

roonetoon

Aug 9, 2006
    San Francisco
  10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
  11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The 659 is a great rock pre-amp, but at $937.50, I'm not surprised the shop still hasn't sold out.

12. Sjon

Sjon

Jul 25, 2007
    A little late perhaps, but I do find the (overdriven) Agro to sound remarkably similar to that of the DB 659.