Aguilar DB659 - wow, so good.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jun 18, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    Just got it in yesterday and played with it tonight at church (see sig for rig...i run my power amp @1200 watts into my 210xst), and I totally love it. This thing has enough clarity to let my bass growl be heard easily, while at the same time having a nice warm sound that has a soft mellow attack when i play softly, and really can come through with that percussive punchyness when i pluck harder. It's surprising because when i thought about it it seems almost contradictory that it can be both soft and warm with a light touch, yet punchy and growly when i play hard. Overall it has a pretty meaty and full/satisfying sound.

I also tried the DI out during the 2 sets, and it sounded very nice post-eq, i didnt try the DI pre-eq but i'm sure it would've been nice too.

I kept the treble at 12 oclock, mids at 10, bass at 2, both bright and deep switch off. The effect loop options are awesome, and that fender-style jewel is nice.

Only thing I dont like is the lack of a front panel power switch, but thats ok since I use a rack mounted surge strip on the back rails anyways.

Oh yeah I also dialed in some overdrive with the volume/gain knob up, and the tubes broke up really well. Very different from the breakup i got from my old SWR IOD and current Ampeg SVP-Pro, but very satisfying. I never used the overdrive/distortion on the ampeg because it took too many knob twists to go from a clean sound to dirty sound with teh same volume, and i did use overdrive on the IOD a lot but the power tube breakup sounds more...hmmm...chunky and affects more of the tone, and I was able to blend in clean tone. the DB659 breaks up nicely for subtle grit without needing a clean blend.

I always read about the db659 in comparison threads, but not too many about the unit itself, i'm kind of surprised more people don't talk about this guy. I got a great deal on it, so i'm a happy camper.

Rock on. :bassist:
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow! that's a lot of bass. I always found the 695 to be really bassy when the bass is turned past 11. I have the bass at about 10 on my current settings with the mids between 1 and 2 and the highs just above 12 but I can tell you're going for a mid scoop eq.
  3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah, i started to dial in bass recently because i've been using my bridge pickup with very little neck p/u a lot recently, which tends to be a thinner sound with a lot of that mid growl, so i try to eq to get the fuller sound i'm used to from having the neck p/u. when i fade i nthe neck pick up though, the lows are in overabundance.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mmmm, i'd love an Aggy... Pitty they cost sooo much over here :(

Enjoy that rig, sounds a treat! You got any pics at all?
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    ill get something for you tomorrow when i setup for sunday service

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I like the DB659 a lot -- great preamp!
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The 659 is deceivingly good, IMHO. It looks so simple, but it really has a lot of options, and is a pretty flexible unit. It definitely has its own tonal character, but I like it a lot.

Good score!

8. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Yeah, it sucks everything is so dear :(
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I enjoyed my 659 very much! Great, warm tones and plenty of articulation with simple yet flexible EQ; very gig-friendly. Maybe I shouldn't have sold it to Tom.... :meh: :D
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you hear it with the Telefunkens I have in it now, you might really be upset! ;) But seriously, thanks for selling me such a great pre and for keeping it in such nice condition!