Aguilar DB680 noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Sep 11, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whenever I plug in my cable into my pre I can hear the sound of the plug being insereted into the jack from my cab. And whenever the pre is on and I tap it, touch it or switch the knobs or if I'm trying to put the cable in and I miss the jack all the sounds get amplified through the cab. I was rehearsing the other day through some headphones and I had it in a rack case on the floor and whenever the drummer played his bass drum it sounded as if something was rattling in the pre and i could hear it through my headphones.
    Anyone out there have a clue as to what is going on?
  2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    It's probably a tube that needs replacement
  3. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I dont know anything about tubes, I must do some research .Any particular brand of tubes I should get? What size? How much?
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    My 680 got pretty noisy recently, took that opportunity to change all the tubes. Sounds 100% better. I just bought EH tubes that the local guy had - that's what Aguilar recommended. That's about as basic as you get - there's a world of tubes out there...
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, apparently Aguilar designed the 680 with EH tubes in mind. Makes replacing them nice and easy.
    Could I spend a lot of time and money trying new tubes in search of a better sound? Probably. But I love the sound as is, so I have no problem with using EH tubes.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i called them a few weeks ago, and asked if there were any NOS tubes they liked in it, and they said, "no". :(

kinda disheartening, but i'm gonna do it anywho. got a few Telefunks, Mullards, and Jan Philips & GE's, RCA's lying around. i always thought the DB680 could sound tighter. i guess the JAN's would fix that up in a jiffy.

but i can see why they like the EH & Sovtek stuff. lots of high end. sometimes too shrilly and too much for me, especially with guitar amps. but i guess for bass, you'd need that.

k, i'm just runnin' on, runnin' on...
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've experimented with various tubes in my Aguilar DB680 preamp and can hear subtle differences when playing alone at home, but I think by the time my bass is amplified with a live band the diffrences will no longer be discernable to me, much less to anyone in the audience.

I think tuning our sound with tubes and cables only makes sense if you're recording in a good studio and the tone of your gear will be important.

8. gordotone

Nov 22, 2001
    Some Mullards & telefunkens sound rich and beautiful. A lot of the NOS RCA's and GE's that you can buy now are not all that. I do know some guys have puts Mullards in the first input stage of the DB 680 and swear by it. Why not, if you can find one and are willing to pay for it?
    Just be a little afraid of some of the NOS RCA's and Sylvania's and know that some of the GE's have very low output. My experience with EH and Sovtek (same company) is that they make several variations of the 12ax7, I think it is a big generalization to say that they are "shrill". On the other hand, compared to a Mullard.......:meh:
  9. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    look on the aguilar website in the support section, and there's a tube chart for the DB680.
  11. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Go to clik-Links To Die For-Manufacturers-Tubes-Supliers. There's a few suppliers that may have what your looking for. There are also private horders you might be able to find via the Hi-Fi boards such as Audio Asylum.