Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB680 + Power??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by technik, Oct 6, 2005.

1. technik

technik

Oct 27, 2004
    Jakarta, ID
    Has anyone tried the aguilar preamp db680 with qsc plx power?
    Hows the sound compared to the SVT4 or db750?

thanks

2. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I have a DB 680 and I'm currently using a CP 1400 power amp from peavey. I think it blows the SVT4 out of the water and I played a 750 at a GC and I thought that the 680 has loads of more bass and tone features. I'm currently upgrading the CP1400 to the Digital DPC 1400 peavey power amp. Personally, once I've started seperating my amp to individual power amp and an individual pre amp I've found it a whole new world compared to a combined amp. The 680 is GOOOD stuff, especially for recording :)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, nothing really compares to the mojo a DB750 puts out. the power section is beautifully engineered and has this sound akin to weighty heft of an all tube power amp, but without the saggy, sluggish nature. a "hybrid" in every positive sense of the word.

but the i normally use my 680 w/ the DPC1400x, and love every bit of flexibility i get w/ it.

either one is a terrific choice. just up to you, if you want total tweakability in the 680, or straight up plug 'n play sweetness w/ the 750.

IMHO, the SVT can hold a candle to either amp.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The 680 with the right power amp is a monster rig!! I have one and have been contemplating using a plx with it. I have a 728 power amp and a mackie 1400. The plx (1602) running mono, IMHO had a lot of power and headroom, but I didn't feel the brute force I get out of my tube power amp. It also made the preamp sound more "hifi". Not necessarily a bad thing but it definitely changes the sound. Also the sound was very similar with the mackie.

However, I recently tried the 680 with a crest CA6 and there was a big difference. Didn't solve my weight problem, but now I see why so many people recommend it.

As far as comparisions to the SVT4 and the DB750, it's a different animal. I think the 680 is a great preamp. The preamp is one of the most flexible (I also have a demeter HBP-1 and it's a close race between the two in terms of flexibility) and definitely more flexible than the 750. The SVT has a different sound. The one thing I always notice about the 680 and Aguilar products is how well it works in most musical situations. At every gig and recording session, that is one of the most common comments from engineers.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The DB 680 with a CA9 is a highly competent combo, and it can compete with about anything in the "clean tone" department, but it really doesn't get down and dirty.

But to me, the ultimate amp to pair up with a 680 is the mighty DB 728. This combination is a wrecking ball of tight, articulate, growly tube goodness! :bassist: