Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB680 vs Eden Navigator pre-amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Jun 1, 2004.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    OK, who owns both of these and can give me a complete, detailed A/B of them? ;) The Eden seems to have a few more features but the Aggie has full parametric Eq. Same size (2U) and about the same weight. I always like the tone of my WT-400 head but it really didn't have enough power for my needs. Planning on using a Stewart World 2.1 for power into Bergantino cabs (HT322 and HT115). Any experience with these pre-amps?

Mucho grassy ass!

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use a db680, berg 322 and just traded my navigator off. I like the db680 better but the eden is very nice. The eden could get real close to the 680 as well as a trace gp series amp, alot of sounds in there. It did keep the "eden" tone though. The 680 is a much cleaner and faster pre even though you still can get a nice growl and grind to it as you know. All eden gear Ive tried has a high end hiss through bergantino cabs were as the aguilar is dead quiet. The one thing I miss from the navigator, well two, is the mute button on the front of the pre and the compressor. I didnt realize that I used it on the eden untill I quit useing the eden. Price has to be a factor too. I had great deals on both the eden and the aguilar used. I would have kept the eden but I wanted that fbass. :bassist:

3. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    "I would have kept the eden but I wanted that fbass."

Well, yeah, that is understandable. :D

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    And I'm loving theNavigator. :D

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    www.basstasters.com

:bassist:

IMHO, i dont like either the Eden preamp sound or the Aguilar preamp sound w/ the bergantino's. both were too congested and woolly sounding in the mids for me. just too much of that "tubey" sound.

instead, a more hifi, uncolored setup would do the Bergie's justice, i.e. Demeter's HBP-1, or even my EA iAMP800 would prolly sound killer with Bergie cabs.

but if you like how the WT400 sounded with your berg's, then by all means, get the Navigator.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    In my experiences the Eden is very growly, tight, and punchy - but incredibly flexible. Almost compressed sounding, but still very addictive to play. Reminds me a lot of the stereotypical bartolini sound. The Aguilar on the other hand is very aggressive, very tubey, and much more raw.

It all depends on what sound you're going for... I wouldn't choose by their respective feature set, I think you'll be happier if you choose the one with the tone you're going for.

Tell us what you're looking for and we can point you in the right direction!

7. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    After tasting a bit on www.basstasters.com I'm now leaning more toward the Demeter pre-amp. Wasn't that wow-ed by the Eden's sound clips

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have the Eden and I love it.

I have the EQ set flat almost all the time but Im glad its there when I get to a gig where the room has bad acoustics or the sound guy is terrible.

The compresser is just awesome in my eyes. I love setting it to a nice hard copression most of the time but there have been times in the past where I just like to set it to compress where I play the loudered lower notes to protect my speakers.

The DI is awesome too. You can choose wether the signal being sent to the board is pre/or post compresser, and pre/post EQ seperately and you have a level control on the front of your amp so you dont need to worry about having to lose stage volume if the sound guy says your signal is too hot.

Oh and the gain controls combined with the charachter control is great for dialing anything from a soft warm tone to full on fat grind.

I have no experience with the Aguilar but I see no reason to give up my Eden.

Peace
    Nick