Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Aug 28, 2002.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does $1000 for a 3 month old Aguilar DB680 sound like a good deal? It supposedly in perfect condition and used very little. What cabs would you people suggest. I play a lot of Salsa,R&B, Funk and Jazz and I need lots of low end and plenty of punch. I was thinking about getting some Bergantinos, a 1X12 and a 1X15.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds good to me! I play the same styles of music as you do, and I am really looking forward to getting a DB680 one day. They are fabulous pre-amps. I play through an Aguilar 2x10", and it really has a lot of low end. The pre-amp is very smooth, and articulate sounding. It is very deep sounding. You won't be disapointed!:)

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I bought DB 680 2 months ago after I bought Demeter VTDB 201. Both I bought without trying them first because I live in Australia .
    I found that both amp almost equally good , only Demeter by half the price of DB, and , more practical in live concert. DB has thicker sound , while Demeter is punchier. Both has clear high.
    Demeter suitable for transistor and tube power amp, while Aguilar is fond of tube power amp. So finally I paired DB 680 with SVT 2 Pro [I use the power section only] while the Demeter with QSC 3204. Bothe hook up with pair of Wayne Jones cabs or Acmes. I use Demeter for Live ,while Aguilar in my music studio.
    Both are great preamp and for value of money definetely I go for Demeter.

Now I am waiting for Glockenklang BassArt preamp see , hich one is better still.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seems ok, but i've seen them for $800 in bassgear.com and ebay. if you're willing to wait, i would.

as for cabs, it excels with whatever you pair with it. after all, at that price range, it should sound good thru no matter what. i've used mine with my Acme B-2, Aguilar GS112, Bergie HT112, and no matter the cab, it was always a stellar tone.

still, given alex also makes great cabs, it's prolly engineered with them in mind.