Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Aug 28, 2002.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Does $1000 for a 3 month old Aguilar DB680 sound like a good deal? It supposedly in perfect condition and used very little. What cabs would you people suggest. I play a lot of Salsa,R&B, Funk and Jazz and I need lots of low end and plenty of punch. I was thinking about getting some Bergantinos, a 1X12 and a 1X15.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds good to me! I play the same styles of music as you do, and I am really looking forward to getting a DB680 one day. They are fabulous pre-amps. I play through an Aguilar 2x10", and it really has a lot of low end. The pre-amp is very smooth, and articulate sounding. It is very deep sounding. You won't be disapointed!:)
  3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I bought DB 680 2 months ago after I bought Demeter VTDB 201. Both I bought without trying them first because I live in Australia .
    I found that both amp almost equally good , only Demeter by half the price of DB, and , more practical in live concert. DB has thicker sound , while Demeter is punchier. Both has clear high.
    Demeter suitable for transistor and tube power amp, while Aguilar is fond of tube power amp. So finally I paired DB 680 with SVT 2 Pro [I use the power section only] while the Demeter with QSC 3204. Bothe hook up with pair of Wayne Jones cabs or Acmes. I use Demeter for Live ,while Aguilar in my music studio.
    Both are great preamp and for value of money definetely I go for Demeter.

Now I am waiting for Glockenklang BassArt preamp see , hich one is better still.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seems ok, but i've seen them for $800 in and ebay. if you're willing to wait, i would.

as for cabs, it excels with whatever you pair with it. after all, at that price range, it should sound good thru no matter what. i've used mine with my Acme B-2, Aguilar GS112, Bergie HT112, and no matter the cab, it was always a stellar tone.

still, given alex also makes great cabs, it's prolly engineered with them in mind.