Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kernpre, Sep 13, 2002.

1. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Any experiences to share?

Picked one up pretty cheap and really liked it at the store. Not sure with my Epifani/Stewart set up. Great finger tones, but not getting newer school slap tones that I thought I may be able to carve with all that eq.

Settings suggestions, experiences or other...

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    With the parametric, can't you get just about any tone you would want?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i get some bitchin' slap tones out of mine. what's lacking in the tones that you are getting?

4. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I haven't been able to not get a tone out of my 680 that I didn't like. For thumping, I enable the bright switch and crank the treble, add the bass depth switch in and cut the lowermids and uppermids with the parametric. For fingerstyle I will add some mids at 2khz. For soloing I enable the bright switch. Best preamp I ever played through as of yet.

Peace

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    same here,

if you're using a Kern, i'd find the tone of the Aggie to be much clearer and open. not as cholestroled, but still tubey cool.

6. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    what's lacking in the tones that you are getting?

Well, I play passive (roscoe beck), and I never have had this problem before, but it seems to have an inherent midrangy honk that I can't lose even when I pull 'em out almost completely. It looks rediculas to the eyes with the controls pulling out ALL the mids like that, but the ears still hear that "Boxyness".

Perhaps tubes need replacing. It is used and sat in a store for about a year i think. on that, any replacement suggestions?

Who knows...I have never been a major knob tweaker, as the kern is plug and play. I perhaps just have a learning curve with this thing...

Thanks for the help guys...

7. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    cut the lowermids and uppermids with the parametric.

Hey Camoe...Exactly what freq. range for both are you cutting? and wide or exact cuts (variable nob next to it)

Hey, I'm a slow learner!!!:D

8. Whaa?? Lol.

WTH does cholestroled mean when regarding bass tone? I'll give it a shot.

Cholestroled - (adj) (1.)A term describing something that sounds like it's full of bacon. (2.)Descriptive term used when a TB'er has run out of comparative terms

:D

9. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    "Hey Camoe...Exactly what freq. range for both are you cutting? and wide or exact cuts (variable nob next to it)"

I'm cutting at 400HZ and 1.8KHz with the level knobs down to the - mark and the bandwidth set close to the middle for a slap tone. I also enable the bass boost mode. Of course this is a little dependent on strings. With TI jazz rounds I have to cut a bit more and add a little more bass than when I play with Maxima Gold strings which have a stronger bass and treble but less midrange sound.

Peace

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO,

ok ok, i knew i was gonna get a little heat with that one, but yea, its the only thing i could think of. musta had to do with the omelet i had from Silver Spurs... :p

but seriously, the Kern just sounds sooooo frickin' fat to me, it warrants ridiculous adjectives.

11. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    You rock Camoe. Thanks for the help

For that matter, love to everyone in the room. It's one of those nice saturday mornings in Michigan and all I have to do today is set up the rig and play, tweak, play, tweak, play...you get it..

I am fortunate to have recieved my bergs from JIm yesterday, and I am testing them against the epifani's I still have. Initial (very) is that I think I'm in love and the epi's are gone. We'll see. It is a true a/b test as running stereo from same pre and same power. What fun.

Thanks again guys!

mj

12. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Let us know what settings you ended up using and have fun with your berg cabs...they are nice.

Peace