1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Went to a studio in Manhattan yesterday and they had a DB680 Pre and a Lab. Gruppen power amp.

I had trouble figuring out how to use this baby.. The Lab had two volume knobs it seems and the Aggie had MANY knobs that I really didn't understand..

Can anyone clue me in or do I just need to keep tweeking. It gets expensive at $36 per hour so I hope someone knows the ins and outs of the system. Thanks

2. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thanks. I found that on lne and I think I probably would need that manual while I stood in front of the amp... which is the way I may need to go regardless. I'm still hoping that someone will chime in and discuss it some..

4. That pre has a tone of options, but most probably wont be used. First you need to figure out if it is hooked up to be biamped or if it is using the full range output. The stack of three knobs on the far right hand side are for the biamp feature. The top knob is for the crossover freq, variable between 100-1000hz. The next two are for hi volume and low volume. The other two small knobs are for the effects loop. Everything else is pretty standard from left to right.

Gain is pretty normal and stays clear until you get past about 130 when it starts to get a little hair.

Bass is a passive shelving eq that is boost only, however, flat is about 9 o'clock. Depending on if you want fat and tubby or extented and growly try playing with the bass switch. I find I like the bass at 830 with the switch in the + position more than the bass at noon with the switch in the -. The ++ position on the switch adds a LOT of lowend. I find it overpowering unless you are doing dub or raggae and need sub bass.

The parametric looks complicated, but is pretty straight forward. Top three are low mid, bottom three are high mid-low treble. The left knobs are freq, middle is boost/cut, and left is band width. The only confusing part is the bandwidth. I find the most usable positions for it are about 9, 1-2, and 430 from wide to narrow respectively. I like the low mid between 220-250 and bandwidth about 1, with high mid between 1.5-1.8k and bandwidth about 1045. Anything higher and the treble knob does a pretty good job of controling it. You can use both like a notch filter, though. Just turn the bandwidth knob fully clockwise and select the freq you want to cut.

Treble works the same as the bass, but flat is closer to 10 or 1030. The switch here adds a lot of glass and can give quite a scooped treble sound when combined with backing off the treble knob.

The last knob is the master. It only works when you use the full range ouput. That is about it for controls. Everything else is in the manual. The controls are the only thing that seem vague to me when reading the literature. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Awesome. Thank you so much. This helps a lot.

6. Yeah, you'll need to twist knobs a bit but the DB680 is great. I love mine. Chances are the one you use (d) is wired up for full range or ?

***** And while we're here:
    I've been plugging requests for an updated Tone Hammer 6800 - madeup name - with a built in Class D power amp (2 to 3 times the power of the TH500), all solid state (just like the TH amps), no crossover, same eq interface as the DB680 and a front panel "baseball bat" power switch all inside of a two rack space. How does that sound ???

Not that many folks post for the DB 680 any more. I use an all clean tone and so it's just about the perfect bass preamp for me. You might also try using a wide bandwidth setting on those two knobs in the parametric. Depends on what you need in tone ...

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Oh yeah. And while we are on it... how does the TH500 Compare? I would have to say, and I haven't listen to the TH500 and don't forget about the Lab. Gruppen power amp that must have some affect on the overall tone.

8. My power amp is nothing out of the ordinary-Carvin. It pairs up with my DB680 just fine.
    I've had my TH500 only about 3 months - bought it brand spanking new from Bass San Diego. It's really versatile with tone. I can make it sound like my DB680 and vice versa. Some will surely comment on that. I use either the DB680 or the TH500 for the same tone - deep, warm, round, fat and completely clean. That's not too much to ask of a bass amp or preamp. I'm quite sure that all of the great solid state tones inside the TH could be put in a much more powerful package as I mentioned above. If any company can do it right and very well it's Aguilar.

9. If the lab gruppen amp is a studio reference style it is probably pretty transparent and wont contribute much of at all to the final sound.
    As for the TH500, the low end and overall response is just "different". It is just the difference between the tubes and solid state. However, through a cab most differences are not realized. I find that tubes offer the ability to tune a "looseness" and roundness to the tone that really cops that old school sound. I dont know what it is but solid state just cant do it.

10. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    I have a TH pedal mounted in a rack with a PA power amp. It pretty much does what you are asking, and I am quite happy with that package.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The DB680 has ton of high mids and highs. I ran it with the treble at 9 o clock then use the parametric as a boost to make the tone as clanky high mid nasty as you can ... Then cut a bit at that frequency/width.