Aguilar DB728 bass tube power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sirgrooveholic, Sep 26, 2002.

1. sirgrooveholic

Sep 26, 2002
    I have question what is ohms, and which one you have best definition of clarity?

I'm thinking about getting a bass head and aguilar is like almost mesa/boogie of bass equipment to me at least. I can't find anything from their products that fits my budget since is a power amp, it's a good idea getting. Is it something like a head without eq b.s. and other stuff,did it would work fine with preamp or effect unit?
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    aguilar is safe to run all the way down to 2 ohms. the clarity would not change because of the impedance.
    you would need a preamp to run and adjust your signal through. for the price of this power amp alone, you can get an all tube head like eden, ampeg, and mesa boogie make that already have formidable preamps in them. i don't think that the ag power amp is really worth all that money. plus do you really want an all tube head or just a tube preamp? their tone is remarkable but they are very heavy and often less reliable (due to the power tubes blowing/breaking in transit) there are many more cost efficient solutions if you just want a power amp/preamp setup.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Ag tube power amp can be found used for about $1000. If you care about having great tube sound it is money well spent. This amp is built like a brick sh*t house. Totally reliable. Industrial grade components. Mine has survived a short in the speaker wire without a hitch. Tubes are not the delicate little things that FNA4 makes them out to be. Still it requires a nominal amount of care and feeding. A tube pre with solid state power amp is NOT the same as an all tube system.
  4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i didn't mean that they are so fragile that simply moving them from place to place will damage them. if an unknowing roadie drops them from more than 12 inches that could be it while a solidstate would more likely come out unscathed. and if they fry during a gig your sound is caput. not to say that these things don't happen to solidstate amps, but i think most people like s.s. reliability a little more. i love that fat, warm sound of an all-tube head but i have terrible luck with gear and would be afraid i'd blow out a tube or two in the first song. sorry if i worded it too harshly. and i was also just wondering if he was confusing all tube with tube preamp as most poweramps you find are s.s.... ;)

is the ag 728 self/auto biassing? and what is the price going to be with these price swells they are going through? :confused:
  5. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    How bout one taking a header down a half flight of stairs (sorry, no actual stair count and yes in a rack mount) coming up dented but still performed without a hitch......

This is why I bought an agie and not a Mesa or a Eden - that and a ten year warranty didn't hurt either:D

IMHO - If ya wants a fat tube sound, agie's are hard to beat.
  6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If a tube dies on the Aggie, I can pull out it's compliment tube and continue to play through it. You can't to that with a SS amp.
  7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    that is a good feature! maybe i'll look into one. but unfortunately not for a year and with this sudden inflation of ag electronics i don't know if it will be feasible....:mad:
  8. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I think no SS power amp can beat the fatness and lows of tube power amp. I have both VTDB and Aggie DB 680, is so much different in sound quality when I run them thru QSC 3204 and Ampeg SVT2 Pro power section, the Qsc seems very thin , while the tube gives me a real fat, warm punchy lows you can imagine.:D

I never go back to SS power again . I rather pay someone to lug the rig. By the way I found Eden WT 400 is good too for hybride, she is really low and warm compare to SWR
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

you've got the Demeter tube power amp?!???!

how's it compare to the Aguilar. do tell!
  10. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    No, I don't have , you misunderstood!

I run Demetervtbp 201 thru the power section of SVT 2 Pro [ means I did not use the Ampeg preamp}

I am thinking either I buy another DB 728 or Demeter tube power amp.
    I have 3 pre but only 1 power [ DB 680, Dem VtBP 201 and Glockenklang Bass Art].:(
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    how does the glock stack up to the other pre's. there was one being sold stupid cheap on ebay a few months ago but it was the european power version.
  12. sirgrooveholic

Sep 26, 2002
    ok, I have another question how hybrid like aggie db750 is it different from tube head or preamp. Does it have a switching mode to tube and s.s or is it both at the same time. I got ask not common sense questions at least to me.

The ohm's from what I understand it's like a mode in your amp that lets out the power to cabinet in whichever can be safely run and max volume.
  13. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    It is a very nice preamp, clear without colouration.
    It is at the same quality if not better than the other two, the rest is amatter of taste.

If I have to be honest, I like the tube tone more than transistor. If someone is interested I am willing to sell the Glock, just 1 month old.;)
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Do a search on ohms, it's been explained a million times here.
  15. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    No. It means that the preamp has one or more tubes in it and the power amp section is solid state.
    This is a compromise between tube sound and lower weight and cost of transistor technology.
    However some amps feature a preamp with both tube and solid state circuitry - in this case you can chose between the two, power amp is solid state though (e.g. Peavey, Hartke)
    No. As geshel said: do a search or read the faq please.