Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB728 opinions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Mar 22, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi there,

I'm about to buy a tube power amp, what do you think of the Aggie db728, is it loud enough and worth the extra cost? Also, I cannot find the dimensions on this thing on the Aguilar website, can anyone help...thanks :bassist:

2. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    that thing is great! it is 4 rack spaces tall and very deep 19" i think. but sounds unreal. warm clear punchy. the demeter tube power amp sounded very very clean almost solidstate. but better. but the aguilar has this real nice tube sound to it very warm but also tons of power and headroom. i want a db 728 myself so i say go for it.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    This thread may be of use to you: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91046.

I was looking for answers to this same question last year when I was piecing together my new rig.

To answer your questions more directly... yes, it's definitely loud enough. I've used mine while playing with a metal band and I never had to turn it past half-way. :) Also, it sounds great, though I need to replace the tubes in mine (more than half of them are microphonic, I really wish the guy I bought it from would have packed the tubes separately like I asked him. :meh: )

The only thing I don't particularly care for about the DB 728 is the weight. At nearly 60lbs, it can be a pain to carry around sometimes. Soon I'd like to buy a custom shockmount rack case with casters for all of my gear so I can just roll it around.

And yeah, the 728 is pretty deep, about 18" from the front panel to the end of the jacks/fan-switch on the back.