1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aguilar db750/ag500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROGI, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    hi, i have only one question. is there any significant tone and quality diference between db750 and ag500? thnx.

2. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Qualitywise both are top-notch.

Tonewise they are very different.
    The DB750 has a warm punch and what a lot of people call a "whooly" sound. It has a clean warm sound, not an all-tube overdriven amp sound. It's heavy and big but as most people who have it or had it know that there's no substitute for that sound.

The AG500 is cleaner, brighter and more versatile in terms of its EQ.
    It's a great amp which still has that Aguilar sound but is all solid-state but is not brittle at all.

I own both and while I use the AG500 more because it's lighter, the DB750 is an amp I will never get rid of. Even less now that it has been discontinued.

3. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    +1 to Afroman's reply... For me they both have the Aguilar tone, but the difference is the power. The DB750 just feels like you have a jet pushing your tone. The AG500 is cleaner and more versatile, I miss mine and will buy one again but the DB750 ain't going nowhere.

4. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice Avatar!!!!
    Is that the DB410 or DB212?

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    IME, the AG500 will get you all that fat Aguilar sound, but not quite that feeling of being able to kill a small creature with a low B, if needed. I still miss my DB750/GS412 rig. Seriously considering taking a look at the DB751.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    at pushed volumes, the 750 just feels that much bigger and bolder to me. the ag500 almost seems narrower and more focused sounding. which all should be obvious. i myself and am pretty close to grabbing one of these closeout 750's that the newer 751's seem to be phasing out.

7. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    :) thnx! i've looked at the specs of 750 vs 751 and there is diference in preamp tubes. hope there will still be 750's around this summer so i can grab one in US.

8. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have to agree with you.
    The DB750 is more of a widescreen 3D-like sound.
    AG500 is more detailed and keeping with my Video analogies, dare I say more High-Definition.

9. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Thanks! It's a DB212.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Curious, is it an 8 or a 4?