Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750, Ampeg SVT6 or EA iAmp800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bugbass, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I have narroved it down to these tree candidates(I think). The DB750 is very fat, and so is the price. So I thought maybe the Ampeg could be the one. Never tried it, but the SVT4 sounds good IMO. Never tried the iAmp800, but briefly the 500. A bit too hi-fi?

I play mostly soul/rock and blues, and use EBS cabs(410 & Neo 112)

Any comments?

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another head to consider would be the ThunderFunk TFB550.

The DB750 is a fantastic amp, also.

3. I think you answered your own question in regards to the EA800. Awsome amp, but if you are not looking for clear and crisp hi-fi, then on to the next. The Aguilar is a monster. I've had mine for about a year now and no complaints. I've never tried that ampeg, and you haven't either, so I'd recommend trying one out. IMO I think Aguilar is a notch or two,three,four...above ampeg as far as "modern gear", but the price IS daunting.

4. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I've never tried the EA800 or DB750. But I've owned a SVT-4PRO, the SVT-6PRO sounds better, IMO, it has more "tone".

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    for your styles of music i'd say the DB whoops them all through EBS cabs...EA stuff into EBS cabs might be too hifi for soul/rock styled stuff.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you don't want to pay for the DB750, I'd go 6-PRO.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have never played the Ampeg or the Aguilar. Hope to some day. I have not played an iAMP through EBS but I do think you could dial in any tone you want with an iAMP. Of course I would say that but I use EA from everything from pop to blues to funk to jazz and back again.

Ultimately its your ears that will have to tell you what's best for you.

8. How much volume do you need and how portable do you want to be? Those are probably the 2 questions to ask. I have played all 3 of these amps as well as many others but I have only tried the EBS 410 and that was with a Trace AH500 (though I like Trace I thought it was a rather odd pairing..)I just played the Ampeg a week or so ago through my Bergantino NV610 and was a bit underwhelmed compared to the 750! The 750 was just so much thicker sounding and really cut while the Ampeg did not sound as tubey and was considerably thinner especially when slapping. The 750 is probably the best slapping amp I have used and it really doesn't lose the transients like most amps do. I attribute that to its dynamic headroom or the ability to produce its full output across the entire bass frequency spectrum as opposed to its output dropping off at lower frequencies.

I have a friend who absolutely loves the EA and I have tried his with my EL Whappo, a 73' SVT 8X10, an SWR Goliath and a Gloiath III, an Eden 2X12, and an Eden 410 and 210. I listed these cabs to make the point that I have tried the head with a lot of cabs and in a few different places and I really appreciate the features and the thought that went into the design but I just can not love this head for some reason. I really wanted to and I tried to. I just felt that there was no warmth and no "feel" to it. I guess maybe it is a bit hi fi sounding and fairly lifeless to me. It may work for you but I would try it and the others first.

I also am a big Thunderfunk fan and would highly recommend that you try one before you buy anything else!! It is fairly easy to get the 750 tone from the T-Funk along with many other tones...the T-Funk doesn't give you the "size" that you get the 750 and I don't know another amp that will frankly, but if are just looking for that tone the T-Funk will give it to you for 1/3 the weight and less than half the cost!! I love the fact that it weighs just 15 pounds but sounds as good as 50!! If I had my choice I would take the T-Funk everytime! I should also mention that I own a 750 now and intend to hold onto it after the tour I am going out on. If I had to choose strictly between the 3 choices you have and price is no object the 750 wins hands down!! If you took the path that the Ampeg might come close I would buy the T-Funk instead....Hope that helps!

Peace,

T

9. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for the comments. Tommixx, it`s not so much the volume i am after, but the headroom that real powerful amps has , I find that every thing sounds better with more power. The Thunderfunk seems interesting, but I`m not shure about the wattage.
    The headroom of the DB750 is just crazy

10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    For what you're playing I'd go with the db750 or the Ampeg.

11. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    I have owned both the DB750 and the IAmp800, and have had several Ampeg heads, but not the 6.
    The Aguilar is really heavy, and since it's a tube preamp, cannot be tossed around. That said, it is a rich and pillowy sounding head with a lot of headroom. Not the most versatile sounding amp, but what it does it does very well. I sold mine because of weight issues and my concern about tube reliability over the course of a very heavy gigging schedule.
    I have the IAmp 800 combo and although I don't like the sound of the cabinet, the amp is excellent. Very versatile, not too heavy and can reproduce the sounds of a lot of other amps, including Ampeg and EBS. It's also very loud.
    The Ampeg's I've had have all been OK, but you're talking a whole other class here. Since the SLM buyout, Ampeg quality is akin to Peavey, Hartke, or Carvin; and my experience with customer service and support has been, let's just say disappointing.
    I have had dealings directly with Aguilar and EA, and I don't think I've ever had better response from a manufacturer.
    If you're still undecided, that ten year warranty from Aguilar should get your attention. Remember, your amp is only as good as it is working right now.
    Peace

12. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Peavey in same quality category with Carvin and Hartke? :eyebrow:

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I actually find the iAMP 800 to be pretty darn full sounding, and slightly warm, but yet clear and articulate. In fact, the high end is a tad polite, IME, so I often use the Bright switch. So, my experiences seem contrary to those of some others with the iAMP 800. But, I will say that it does seem to be hit or miss depending on which cab you use. It does seem to go well with Bergs, but not so well with Epifani cabs. It is hit or miss with Accugroove cabs (love it with Whappo, Jr., but not as impressive with EW or Tri 210L). For Acme cabs, it's the best head I have tried. And of course, it sounds great with EA cabs.

Just tossing that out there...

Tom.

14. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Maybe I should take a closer look at the iAmp800 as well, how loud is it?
    I have a SWR SM900 now(old blackface), can it match it`s volume/headroom?

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would expect the iAMP 800 to easily match or exceed the SM900 in volume. But I would note that some iAMP 800's had lower initial gain settings, and if you don't have a hot instrument, some guys were not able to get a hot enough signal at the Pre-gain stage. If this is the case, you can send it to EA for a free "tweak."

Tom.

16. I've owned both in the past. I never directly A/B'd The iAmp is every bit as loud, but is not capable of that grindy, punchy 900 rock/funk tone IMO. Loudness is the same, but the iAmp is very clean and pristine... in my experience, the 900 gets a little dirty and grindy (in a good way) when you punch it up.

FYI... I ran my 900 bridged into 8ohms... so 600 watts RMS... and ran the iAmp into a 4ohm load (800 watts). I would think the 900 into a 4ohm load would be massive, and probably 'louder' than the 800 into the same 4ohm load.

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    This is very interesting, it`s actually this grindy punchy tone that`s kept me playing this old SWR all these years. And the only amp I tried that matches the SM900`s volume, is the DB750.
    So maybe I will keep it..
    It`s a bit funny though, to watch the fashions change in this buisiness too.
    SWR isn`t very "hot" right now, and it`s easy for us living in places where all these new and "better" brands are not available to think that the grass is greener on the other side.

Thanks guys, and happy new year!!