Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 and upright...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This might not be the right forum now that I think about it; but I figure it's worth a shot.

I'm just wondering about what people think of this head with an electric upright. I'm looking to start playing a good amount of upright along with electric bass. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt

2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    i've actually never tried that yet. I've got an upright at home, bit no pickup. The bass with a pickup stays at school. Maybe I'll try it at the next jazz fesstival, or on march 22 I probably will. If you can wait, I won't mind at all moving the amp to try it out to add some insight.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My personal opinion:
    The DB750 is a great amp. patitucchi used one for a while.
    I think it does not have enough EQ, especially in the midrange, to keep me happy as a DB amp.
    Having said that, I have not tried it.
    I'm using a Thunderfunk TFB420 that doubles very, very well. The 4 band semipara eq is a godsend, especially with treble over, bass under...and the timbre control is a marvelous tool.
    I asked that same question several times in both forums, and got not much in terms of anyone with direct experience with the DB750/Double Bass combo.
    That right there oughta tell you something;)

4. If you are talking about an EUB (which is what your post seemed to indicate), I would think it would sound great.

However, if you are talking about a true DB, from my experience talking and listening to all my DB playing peers, the very large low end of the 750 and the lack of precise midrange control would not be a good thing for obtaining a good, loud DB sound without feedback in a live setting.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep...KJ's right on.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As usual... :D

7. I wish:oops:

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yep. I'm thinking about EUB at the moment. I'm thinking about getting more into it. There's just something about playing upright for the more laid-back, coffeehouse type gigs I'm starting to get more of.

I'm just debating whether or not to get something smaller/more portable (still).

9. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have used my DB750 for a few upright gigs, and it works well. It has a nice deep sound...but maybe a little loose down low. But, I greatly prefer my iAmp 800 for upright. It just feels tighter with the upright, and as said earlier, the midrange controls are much more precise. Although, with that head, I run it with the tone controls bypassed about 99% of the time. I pretty much use the DB750 for all of my electric gigs, though (unless I just don't feel like hauling a head that is over forty pounds around). But if I have a gig where I'm playing both upright and electric, I definitely reach for my iAmp.

10. Out of interest what type of speakers did you use with the DB750 for double bass gigs?

11. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I almost always use a GS112 for my upright. Great upright cab, IMHO! I don't believe that I have used the DB750 with my GS210. That might be an interesting match, though, since 10s don't really spread as much as 12s do. I generally try to keep it light and small when I play my upright. I play a lot of restaurant jazz gigs where I have minimum space, so the iAmp+GS112 combo is a match made in heaven.

12. Thanks for answering.