Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 & Berg HT112 / EX112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I was wondering if any of you DB750-owners have tried running it through the little berg 12's, how do you think they match, are the cabs too small for the amp etc?....I play the aggie through the Berg NV610 at the moment and it is VERY GOOD, but I'm looking for some portable cabs in the future to match with the db750...

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I think 2 GS112's are the perfect match bro!

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Although I don't necessarily say there is one perfect combination of cabs and amps, I do agree with Brother Joey's recommendation of two GS112's with a DB750. It sounds pretty darn good. The GS112's are naturally scooped, which seems to offset the sort of naturally strong mid presence in the DB750 and the DB659. I'm sure the Bergie's are incredible too. You couldn't pick two better brands to combine. :D I know too!

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Joey, why do you prefer the Aguilar 12's to the bergs?...personally I like the sweetness and punch of the bergantinos I've tried....Ht322 and Nv610

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It may be for you but it all depends on what sound and what kind of music he plays. For me the HT112/EX112 is much better all around than the GS112's. The Bergs react much quicker which is important to me. The Berg's tweeter and crossover are of a much better make and quality and it's very apparent within a live context. The GS112's have more low end but are "squishier" and looser. That can be good for certain things for sure. Again, it depends on what he's looking for.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, to help you guys, the most important thing to me is the ability to cut through in the mix...90% of the time I have PA support, so I don't need to fill a room, but I like having a great amount of presence on the stage and around my rig. Therefore I tend to like a low-mid kind of fingerstyle sound and not that BIG rumble kind of low end....Think passive fender with Ti Flats...

Concerning the midrange of the DB750, I normally turn on the deep switch, 3db boost at around 30hz when using my NV610, it just make the sound a bit more deep and not as middy...

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What you've described is the mini Berg stack to a T.

I've gotta say, if I ever went back to a larger amp than the DB750 would be the only one for sure. I love that amp. That amp with an HT322 would be an amazing rig for sure.

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    emjazz, how would you describe the difference between the HT322 and the 12"s with the db750...I had the HT322 and one time, it sounded great, but it was too airy for me live...I've heard that the 12"s should be a bit more punchy and focused?....

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, the HT322 goes lower for sure and is more open sounding. The 112's are much more focused and excell at cutting through a dense mix. Don't be fooled though, the 112 stack will fill a room with sound if need be.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    anyone ever mixed an aguilar 112 with a berg 112? best of both world or just a bad mix?

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I curious too...so...a curious bump :cool: