Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB750 + Eden 410XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flanker, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    I use Eden gear but I'm thinking of changing the amp for a DB 750 (or maybe the new 650W EBS).

I really like my 410XST and don't want to change it(Although at 8 Ohm it's not ideal for either the Aggie or the EBS).

Does anyone have this setup and if so how does it sound?

Also the amp I have is a Eden 'Highwayman 500', but the output at the back says 300W at each side and the power output figure near the serial number says 600W. Does this mean its been modified or what?

Thanks.

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey I used to have a Highwayman that said 600w on the back too - I bought it new so unless they upped it at the factory it wasn't modded.

If you like the Aguilar sound i'd suggest getting the Ag cabs too.

The EBS & the Ag are night and day different. The Ag is fat and warm, and the EBS is more like the Eden to me, but a lot cleaner and not as honky.

If you like the tone of the Eden cabs, I'd go for the EBS - why are you dumping the Eden amp?

3. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Yes I bought this amp new too, BTW I think it says 600W on the back of the WT500 on the Eden site.

Actually I've never heard the Aguilar but I just think my basses might sound better through an amp with a little more clarity.I have tried the EBS 350 but it was a bit too hifi for my tastes, I was hoping the new EBS might sound fuller.

I just don't like the way the Fafner looks and it seems it might have some reliabilty questions against it too.

Basically I'm hoping if I spend enough I might even sound good! :D

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    what basses do you play?

5. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    The basses sure aren't the problem as I have a lovely Sadowsky Vintage 5, Lakland 55-94, a WAL 5 fretless and last but certainly not least a Jaydee.

Actually this all came about partly because I am interested in a GB bass(see gbguitars.co.uk). The problem is they sound crap through my Eden, and it's bugging me as they sound amazing through the EBS gear but its too bright for me otherwise.

It's certainly not a serious problem!

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    What don't you like about their sound with the Eden?

7. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Too much Eden and not enough Sadowsky.:D

It just seems a bit wooly, not sharp enough but the EBS 350 was too trebly. Jeez I'm fussy!! :rolleyes:

I've read the threads on the Ag DB 750 and it sounded very interesting. I wish I could try one but they are hard enough to find in the US never mind here.

Do you have a DB 750?

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I love my Sadowsky through my Aguilar rig - nice and fat, but still clear. None of the sharp upper mids like EBS and hefty low mids of Eden - BUT those allow you to cut through the mix with ease - personally I don't like the sound. Sounds like you should give the Ag a shot - but I'd seriously suggest dumping the 410XLT too - it also contributes to the "wooley" Eden sound IMHO.

9. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Actually I have the XST cab. (Thank you Gard);)

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    ahh... isn't the XST unported?

11. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Maybe I can shed some light. I just got rid of my Eden XLT cabs this weekend to go with the Aguilar setup. I've had the DB750 for a while now and the tone is, well, amazing. Now it sounds amazing to me because I like a nice pure but rich tone. I can set the DB flat and it sounds great. I did have to cut the mids with my Warwick because the Edens upper mid honk would really shake things up. Thats why I sold them. I have heard and played through some Aguilar cabinets that just sounded "right". They dont seem to have that hump that the XLT has. You may be happy with the XST and the DB750. From what I've heard, the XST is tuned completely flat. I'll be sure to post a full review of the Aggie stuff when it gets here. A GS410 and GS210..should be sweet! Id highly recommend the DB750 though. Compared to other heads, this one wins hands down.

Thanks
    Tommy

12. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    ahh... isn't the XST unported?

If ports are a good thing then I'm sure it has them!

Thanks SoyBase for the report, I'll have to find one now to try it out.

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The XST has a bottom slot port. The XLT has one on the top and bottom.

14. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    A quick update.

After all that I've bought the EBS TD650, it is cleaner than the Eden but is richer than the 350 and has far too much power for my needs. I'm playing through the Eden 410XST 8ohm which sounds great, but I tried hooking both up to an Ashdown410 which is 4 ohm and the result could have knocked the walls down!! :D

My basses all sound great through the EBS and given more time I will get a better chance to compare with the Eden.

I've ordered a GB bass too as they sound amazing through the EBS gear.Sadly I have decided to sell my new Sadowsky, as I'm just going a bit mad with the old spending and although it is a fantastic bass, my Lakland 5 gives more tone options. If I have to sell one it makes sense to let the Sad go before I get too attached to it. :(

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

16. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Good choice on the amp! I played through some EBS gear up at Warrior guitars here in Atlanta and was amazed at the tone those things produce. I played a HD350 and the 410 and it was earthshaking! I can only imagine the 650 through one of those bad boys...or the XST for that matter....DROOL.....

Tommy