1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar DB750 for rock.. will i be disappointed?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by attackbass, Feb 28, 2008.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    What are peoples opinions on using the Aguilar DB750 for rock? I know that Matt Rubano (TBS) and Jeph Howard (The Used), two awesome rock bass players are currently using them.

Do you get that kinda ampeg svt grind when you pump the gain control? I'm ideally looking for a warm, slightly gritty tone with a lot of depth and definition. I know it's a hybrid, but there seems to different ideas about what a hybrid amp is from one company to the next..

I'm currently using an svt3 pro with a sansamp which is cool and it's an awesome amp but sometimes I think the tone could be clearer...

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I haven't tried the aquilar though I would like too, but have you tried Mesa? I went from an SVT Pro 3 to a Mesa Walkabout and really like it way better then the Ampeg.

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Silly question! going from an SVT-3 Pro + Sansamp, I think you will be happy with it. Hang on to the sansamp if you can.

From everything I've heard from and of the DB750, it's the the most "hybrid" of all tube-s/s integrated amplifiers, meaning YES you can get tube grind out of it. Mesa is next in line after the DB750. Mesa V12 has a dedicated tube overdrive channel as well, and it is cheaper than the DB750. I think you should consider both before plunging for the DB750.

4. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    cool. def hanging on to the sansamp!!

I'm from the UK so there's not much price difference between mesa or aguilar. I'm going to try a bunch of stuff out before I commit tho.. currently in the process of a getting signed so once that is done I'll be approaching some companies for a deal.. my guitarists already have a mesa deal. lucky sods.

If you put the aguilar in the ring with a svt classic, who would win in terms of tone? I've never played througha classic head. What about the ag500 - is it worth checking out?

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You won't like it...might as well just give it to me.

Edit: some useful info - the DB750 is a PHENOMENAL amp for rock...and metal...and country...and (loud) jazz...and so on and so forth.